International Postage Meter Stamp Catalog/Canal Zone
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- The first meter was installed in 1953. All stamps have “CANAL ZONE” in the frank.
- Dates normally show the month as a three letter abbreviation (DEC31'53) but they are also found with Roman numeral month (31VII'53) and Western numeral month (12.31.53).
1. Pitney Bowes “RF” (MV), 1953.
- Horizontal frank with design of ship transiting the Canal between the TM and value box.
- The value box is without frame lines except at bottom.
- M# at lower right of the TM with “P.B.” prefix at lower left.
- A. Colon in value figures has narrowly spaced dots indicating the meter is able to print 1/2 and 1/4 fractions of a cent (shown)
- B. Colon in value figures has widely spaced dots indicating the meter is able to print whole cent values only
- TM: SC
- V/F: 00 :
- Similar to Type 1 but the value box has frame lines all around.
- "POSTAGE" lettering is much wider.
- M# with “P.B.” prefix below the central vignette.
- TM: SC
- V/F: . 00