Ido/Comparatives and superlatives
Comparison of adjectives[edit | edit source]
- granda, plu granda, maxim granda big, bigger, biggest
- bela, plu bela, maxim bela beautiful, more beautiful, most beautiful
As you can see from the above examples, in English there are two different systems for comparing adjectives. Ido has only one method of comparison which is equivalent to the English in the second example above. This means that instead of 'bigger' Ido says 'more big' (plu granda), instead of 'prettiest', 'most pretty' (maxim beleta) and so on.
- Chinia es la maxim populoza naciono de la mondo. - China is the most populated nation of the world.
Comparatives[edit | edit source]
In Ido adjectives are compared by:
- plu . . . kam - more . . . than
- min . . . kam - less . . . than
- tam . . . kam - as . . . as
- ne tam . . . kam - not so . . . as
- maxim . . . de - most . . . of
- minim . . . de - least . . . of
- tre - very
Examples[edit | edit source]
- El es PLU gracila KAM Elena. - She is more graceful than Elena.
- Me esas TAM richa KAM il. - I am as rich as he.
- Ol esas la MAXIM bela de omni. - It is the finest of all.
- Il esas TRE brava. - He is very brave.
- Me preferas ico KAM ito. - I prefer this to that.