Ict@innovation: Free your IT Business in Africa/final-quiz
Final Quiz For all the Modules
Question 1 : Who is termed "father of the GNU Project"
- Andrew S. Tanenbaum
- Richard Stallman
- Linus Torvalds
- Bill Gates
Question 2 : Why is it important that trainers use the software they will be training?
- Helps them be liked by the trainees.
- Helps them become conversant with features and functionalities that the software provides and can transmit this knowledge to their trainees.
- Helps them boast of the knowledge they have about the software
- Helps them deliver the training within the shortest time possible
Question 3 : Which benefit/limitation applies to Open standards?
- Inefficient use of existing resources
- Lack Flexibility
- Fewer options and thus less opportunities to optimise
- Lower and manageable risk
Question 4 : Which of the following definition best describe Open Content ?
- Describes content that has been put at a pool for all to access just for reading but not for any modification
- Describes any kind of creative work published in a format that explicitly does not allow copying and modifying of its information by anyone, exclusively by a closed organization, firm or individual
- Describes any kind of creative work published in a format that explicitly allows copying and modifying of its information by anyone, not exclusively by a closed organization, firm or individual
- Describes open content for only business community
Question 5 : How are FOSS brand names protected?
- Through licenses such as GPL3
- By an online community surveillance scheme
- By placing product keys on application
- FOSS brands are never protected and are open for use by anyone
Question 6 : How effectively do you manage your leads?
- I contact every lead and stay in contact until they are mine or I discard them.
- I am following up on enough leads to achieve the level of production I want but there are always more leads that are not followed up on.
- There are many leads that I don't follow up on or lose after the first contact
- Only responds to their calls
Question 7 : How strong is your service to your clients?
- I will ask for their request only
- I maintain good contact with my clients until an offer is accepted and then I lose touch.
- My sellers call me before I call them, my buyers often leave me, and I am embarrassed to call after closing because I've lost touch.
- I speak to my listed sellers, my pending clients, and my motivated buyers at least weekly on schedule.
Question 8 : Which of the following is an important strategic decision a company needs to make
- Business Location
- Which staff to employ
- Name of the Comapany
- Choosing your clients and market
Question 9 : What are the obstacles, if any, you might perceive in people not wanting to attend FLOSS training courses?
- Lack of knowledge on open source software
- Poor marketing by FLOSS trainers
- Most enterprises still do not use FLOSS tools and services
- Over pricing of training fees
Question 10 : Given that your cash flow projection of your FOSS business indicates a negative cash flow six months down the line, the FIRST remedy would be to:
- Bring your cash flow projection back into "positive" by increasing sales, cutting costs and obtaining financing.
- Attempt to sell the business.
- Begin looking for alterative business opportunities.
- Create a new cash flow statement
Question 11 : In doing business branding is considered a very important undertaking. What is brand names are primarily used to achieve
- Show consumers you own the product.
- Spice up the image of a product.
- To help identify your product.
- To help consumers select a product/service.
Question 12 : Which of the following statements is incorrect?
- Public Relations is the act of managing information flow between an organization and the public
- Media Relations refers to way the media manages its relationships with the general public in order to safe guard its reputati
- Public Relation may consist of activities an organization may involve itself in with the intention of promoting a positive relationship or image with its customers or indeed any members of the public
- Public Relation could lend organization important media publicity at low or no costs at all
Question 13 : Some of the major problems encountered by many FOSS companies in Africa are
- Finding Free and Open Source Software that fit for their businesses
- Skilled work force that is willing to work for a low salary
- Aquisition of capital for investment
- Finding clients for their products
- 2 and 3
- 2,3 and 4
Question 14 : Selection of candidates for FLOSS training can be done using the following criteria except
- Role/function in organization
- Educational background
- Identified need
Question 15 : When you are providing FOSS/FLOSS soultions, you are paid for ...
- Business goodwill
Question 16 : Initiating a new business involves considerable risk, as well as an effort to overcome all the ......... against innovative ideas.
Question 17 : Defining a revenue model for your FOSS business will help you to do the following except
- Stay focused on a niche and a target audience
- Give you a foundation for your product or service development plans
- Give you a good basis for accounting
- Provide a foundation for your marketing plans
Question 18 : Why is it important to have course materials developed using indigenous languages?
- To attract more audience/participation from local communities
- To compete with course materials in foreign languages
- To raise money during translation processes
- To adhere to government policies
Question 19 : As a trainer, one should prepare in three key areas, which ones are they?
Hint: This is a multiple answer question!
- The classroom
- The content
Question 20 : One way to create FLOSS market is by persuading existing ICT users. Which one of the following statements misrepresents the act of persuasion?
- Showing what others are doing
- Showing frightening accounts of users of rival products, services
- Showing user generated views
- Showing scarcity of goods or services
Question 21 : What do advocacy initiatives ultimately try to achieve?
- Agitate public resentment against government
- Influence customer choices
- Resolve political differences
- Policy change
Question 22 : What is Network effects?
- The phenomenon that describes how Products in a network increase in value to users as the number of users decreases
- The phenomenon that describes how Products in a network increase in value to users as the number of users increases
- The phenomenon that describes how Products in a network decrease in value to users as the number of users increases
Question 23 : In business a Marketing Mix consists of:
- Product, Price, Place, Promotion
- People, Products, Price, Place
- Price, Promotion, Advertising, Place
- Process, People, Physical Evidence, Product
Question 24 : All free software is freeware and all freeware is free software.
Question 25 : S.W.O.T analysis is predominantly used to:
- Determine the sales of an organisation.
- Determine the capabilities of the organisation.
- Assess whether an organisation should
- Determine whether new products work or not.
Question 26 : For this question please match the software to the appropriate group
- Internet Browser A. Open Office - Impress
- Apache B. World Processor
- Open Office – Writer C. Firefox
Question 27 : Which of the following is not a common FOSS business model in Africa?
- FOSS Training
- System Software Development
- Web Solution Providers
Question 28 : In Business, the term Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) refer to
- License fees,installation cost and maintenance cost.
- Training cost
- Operation cost
- Cost of your fixed Assets
Question 29 : GPL compatible free software license is
- A permissive non-copyleft free software license
- A free software license, and a copyright license
- A free software license, and a copyleft license
- None of the above
Question 30 : Who solves bugs and errors in open source software
- All of the above
- None of the above
Question 31 : The business planning process sometimes fails because
- The planning process is poorly managed
- Plans are impractical
- Planners lack the appropriate skills
- Lack of government support
- 1 only
- 1 and 2 only
- 1,2 and 3 only
- 1,2,3 and 4
Question 32 : What is product branding?
- Garnishing company logo on your products and services
- Is the proprietary visual, emotional, rational, and cultural image that you associate with a Company or a product
- Constantly displaying and associating your products with other popular products
- An appealing slogan often used to accompany your product advertisement
Question 33 : What are the two licenses available for course material licensing?
- CISCO License and Ubuntu License
- OpenICDL license and Linux Professional Institute Certification License
- Creative Commons and GNU Free Documentation License
- Junior Level Linux Professional and GNU Free Documentation License
Question 34 : In undertaking a FOSS business one of your source of information is secondary data. What is secondary data?
- Data collected from personal interviews.
- Data taken from questionnaires.
- Data collected from published materials.
- Data collected from suppliers.
Question 35 : Join different FLOSS/FOSS communities both physical and online has a basic advantage. Which of the following is true
- It is place where you can showoff your skill
- There is a wealth of skills and knowledge
- Only those who are knowledgeable join
- The community in only online
Question 36 : The following are revenue streams for most FOSS Businesses in Africa except
- After Sale Support
- Conducting Research
Question 37 : What is the most common reason why people start new businesses?
- To get rich d. To work fewer hours
- Because they don’t want to work for someone else
- Because they have no other alternative
- To work fewer hours
Question 38 : As part of the social responsibility of most open source business discussed in Africa do the following except
- Create websites for SME free of charges
- Donate money to Open Source Software projects and communities
- Send back modifications of a source code to foss communities
- Undertake seminars to show people how to copy any software
Question 39 : The concept of innovation and newness is now an ......... part of entrepreneurship.
Question 40 : Which of the following are normally included in Open Educational Resources
- Learning content: full courses, course materials, content modules, learning objects, collections, and journals.
- Tools: Software to support the creation, delivery, use and improvement of open learning content including searching and organisation of content, content and learning management systems, content development tools, and on-line learning communities.
- Implementation resources: Intellectual property licenses to promote open publishing of materials, design-principles, and localisation of content.
- Instructors: Teachers, Lecturers, professors.
- 2,3 and 4
- 1 and 2
- 1,2 and 3
Question 41 : Which of the following statements below best represents reasons why community media may be more useful media channel for SME wanting to promote their goods and services?
- Community media doesn’t charge or levy local people wishing to promote their services
- Community media is much more trusted than national broadcasters
- Customers tend to view SMEs that work with community much more favorably
- Community media’s commitment to local development tend to lend support to local businesses
Question 42 : When you lease a space for an office, technical support shop or warehouse, how do you protect yourself from being tied into a lease even if you have outgrown the space?
- Become personal friends with your landlord.
- Plan to add space if necessary at a remote location.
- Provide for this contingency in your lease.
- Plan to sublease your premises and relocate to larger quarters.
Question 43 : Which statement best describes FOSS/FLOSS?
- FOSS applications are not owned by anyone.
- FOSS has the freedom to use, understand, modify and distribute software.
- FOSS is anti-copyright.
- FOSS is just a software or a software development method.
Question 44 : Trainers should see training as a stage production: which of the following is not part of the stage production aspects?
- There is the audience (participants)
- There is a stage (training room)
- The performance by the audience (Shouting)
- The performance by the actor(trainer conducting the course)
Question 45 : Which of the following is not true about doing business in FLOSS
- Help promote economic development
- Help create jobs
- Competing with Proprietary software
- Generating money using FOSS tools and services
Question 46 : Which key stakeholders will probably ask to view the business plan for a new venture
- Tax Revenue agency
- 1 only
- 1 and 4 only
- 2 and 3 only
- 1,2,3 and 4
Question 47 : Sula is interested in FLOSS training. A friend advised him on how to identify opportunities using any of the strategies below. According to your judgement, which one of the listed ways is the weak
- Identifying popular applications (e.g. by looking at downloads from sourceforge.net and freshmeat.net) used by people and create a training for it
- Waiting for friends to bring news about some training opportunities
- Attending (either actively or passively) ICT conferences, workshops and other events such as Software Freedom Day to learn about the needs for training
- Subscribing to newsletters, mailing lists and participating in relevant forums to learning about their training needs
Question 48 : Most FOSS businesses provide web-based solution using
- SAJO-Sun Microsystem, Apache, Java and Oracle
- LNMP–Linux Ngix MySQL Perl
- LAMP-Linux Apache MySQL PHP
- ASP.NET, IIS and SQL Server
Question 49 : Why are small businesses important to a country's economy
- They provide employment
- They can provide specialist support to larger companies
- They can be innovators of new products
- They provide competition to large companies
- 1,2 and 3 only
- 1 only
- 1,2,3 and 4
- 1 and 3 only
Question 50 : Below are some of the winning combinations of an "ideal" FLOSS trainer. Which one is not?
- Winning personality and ability to communicate.
- Practical experience in FLOSS applications
- Ability to program in Java and Visual Basics
- Should be a Certified Technical Trainer (CTT+) certified