0% developed

IB Maths Studies

From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
Jump to navigation Jump to search

The IB Mathematical Studies SL curriculum consists of eight compulsory topics (for first examinations in 2006) In addition, students are required to take part in a project that requires them to take measurements or collect data, and subsequently analyse and evaluate it in a report.

Topics[edit | edit source]

Topic 1—Introduction to the graphic display calculator. Teaching Hours - 3

Topic 2—Number and algebra. Teaching Hours - 14

Topic 3—Sets, Logic, and Probability. Teaching Hours - 20

Topic 4—Functions. Teaching Hours - 24

Topic 5—Geometry and trigonometry. Teaching Hours - 20

Topic 6—Statistics. Teaching Hours - 24

Topic 7—Introductory differential calculus. Teaching Hours - 15

Topic 8—Financial mathematics. Teaching Hours - 10

Project Internal Assessment. Teaching Hours - 20

Total Hours - 150

Assessment[edit | edit source]

Mathematical Studies SL is graded through an external and internal assessment. The external assessment, worth 80% of the final mark, is composed of a Paper 1 and a Paper 2. The internal Assessment is marked by your teacher, and is worth the remaining 20% of your mark.

Paper 1[edit | edit source]

Composed of 15 required short answer questions based on the entire syllabus. Weighted equally with Paper 2 (worth 40% of final mark)

Exam duration: 1 hour 30 minutes.

Paper 2[edit | edit source]

Composed of 6 required extended response questions based on the whole syllabus. Accounts for 40% of the candidates final mark.

Exam Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes