How To Assemble A Desktop PC/Development
This page is for developing sections that will eventually go into the book How To Build A Computer (only if there is enough material present to justify a new subpage).
- 1 Places to Find, Compare, and Check Price and Compatibility
- 2 Troubleshooting
- 3 Modding + Decoration
- 4 Optimizing the System
- 5 Build a Laptop
- 6 fault-tolerant storage
- 7 computer repair
Places to Find, Compare, and Check Price and Compatibility
An online tool that includes several tools for first time or experienced PC builders. The main feature is being able to create part lists. In the part list tool, there are 2 more tools, the wattage estimation tool, and the compatibility checker.
You just finished building your computer, you turn it on, and it doesn't work. This section helps you in case this happens.
The drives act strange
Make sure the IDE/ATA cable isn't longer than 18 inches (46 cm).
This could be due to a variety of reasons
- You forgot to connect the power button
- The power cable is loose
- The power is out
- The motherboard is grounded out
- You forgot (on certain motherboards) to connect the 12V 4-PIN cable to the motherboard.
My New Computer Randomly Restarts
- Bad UPS, check the voltage rails for your UPS
- Insufficient cooling of components, especially CPU
My New Computer Randomly Shuts Down / Crashes
- You have overclocked it above what the processor can do at it's current vcore voltage. Increase the vcore voltage.
- An internal/external cable is loose.
You found your problem component using the above sections, and you need to get a replacement for a part you bought online. This is known as an RMA(Return Merchandise Authorization). This is usually done through either the manufacturer or the store where you bought the item from.
Modding + Decoration
So you don't just want to make a computer, you want to show it off. Or maybe you want to do something creative with your computer.
Optimizing the System
If you are using a Windows system, you'll probably want to remove useless features and 'tweak' your system. Searching the internet for 'Windows Tweaks' will throw up a load of tweaks. Be warned. Don't do anything crazy and if you are scared-DON'T DO IT!
Build a Laptop
Few people know this but let me tell you a little secret- It IS possible to build a laptop/notebook computer. Be warned-It IS more difficult than building a desktop. Heres how:
Here are the parts you will need to make your pride and joy. But before you rush out to get it all, please scroll down to my DISCLAIMER. The parts are:
A compatible Processer (search with Froogle)
A compatible Hard Drive (search with Froogle)
Some RAM (search with Froogle)
WiFi Card (optional unless you have a Centrino notebook)(search with Froogle)
THIS SITE has a good guide on how to make the 'book. (I'm WAY too lazy to type it myself)
1. I HATE Going out shopping. If you do too, I have provided links to all the parts to buy online. However: a) These may not ship to your area b) I AM NOT advertising/selling/recommending all these parts!!! 2. If anything goes wrong I'M NOT RESPONSIBLE 3. Operating System (OS) installation is the same as on a desktop 4. Please ensure you read and understand a)These instructions/instructions on links b)The Desktop building instructions in ths book 5. DO NOT attempt if you have never done a desktop before 6. Most important: a)Slag your friends saying- "I can build a laptop computer and you can't-HaHa" b)Enjoy your shiny new handbuilt laptop :) 7. If all goes wrong just BUY ONE (see 1b)
- distributed file systems