History of wireless telegraphy and broadcasting in Australia/Topical/Publications/Australian Radio History/Qld AM Stations
Qld AM Stations
Queensland AM Radio Stations
Part of the most comprehensive list ever compiled of Australian A.M. broadcasting stations.
Feb 1920 - 4CM - Brisbane
Experimental station owned by Dr Val McDowall on longwave using 20 watts. Built by Thomas Elliott (Australia's television pioneer and first Chief Engineer of 4BC). Operated by Charles Stevens from experimental station 4RG (later an original staff member of 4QG). Broadcast regular Sunday night concerts 1921-1922, and live broadcasts from His Majesty's Theatre. Moved into the Old Windmill Tower in 1926, and conducted the first Australian television experiments from 1929 with a 30 line Baird system. Moved to medium wave (1250 kHz) using 10 watts in August 1933. Granted Australia's first television licence on 1 Jul 1934 (also the first television licence in the Southern Hemisphere). Television transmissions (earlier called 'radiovision') were daily from 1935 for one hour at 7-30 PM with an increase to 180 lines on 136 metres, and often received in Melbourne. The first faces on Australian television were Mickey Mouse playing the piano in an M.G.M. cartoon on 10 Apr 1934, followed by film star Janet Gaynor in 1935 (see separate "Australia's First Licensed Television Station" article). His television equipment used to be displayed at the Brisbane Royal Historical Society. Val McDowell also experimented with X-rays and was a radiology consultant for the Queensland Government.
1920 - 4AE - Brisbane
Experimental station owned by the Wireless Institute of Australia using a 10 watt transmitter at Dutton Park. Their callsign was later changed to 4WI. On air 2000-2200 every Tuesday.
1921 - 4CH - Brisbane
Experimental station owned by Arthur Dillon using a 10 watt transmitter at the Old Windmill Tower on long and medium wave. Arthur once heard a U.S.A. medium wave station on a crystal set, and was the first technical editor for the Queensland Radio News periodical. Closed in 1926. This callsign was reissued on 28 Aug 1930 as a commercial licence at Charleville, which never went to air, and then allocated to the A.B.C. at Charleville in 1982.
29 Nov 1922 - 4EZ - Brisbane
Experimental station owned by the Queensland Institute of Radio Engineers with a transmitter at the Old Windmill Tower. Broadcast the first speech by a politician. Renowned for many outside broadcasts in 1923 (rare in those days). Closed in 1926.
1922 - 4AK - Brisbane
Experimental station owned by J. Milner. Transmitter at Kelvin Grove. Closed in 1935, with the callsign being reissued to a commercial station at Oakey on 31 Aug 1935.
1922 - 4CC - Brisbane
Experimental station owned by Clifford Isles. On air Sunday evenings from Ascot. (When commercial station 4CD in Gladstone opened a relay transmitter at Rockhampton, they used the 4CC callsign).
1922 - 4CW - Brisbane
Experimental station owned by Albert Buck. Transmitter at Geebung.
4CN - Brisbane
Experimental station owned by Ces Morris using a 20 watt transmitter at Rosalie. On air week-nights and weekends. Renowned for his high quality transmissions. Licensing authorities changed the callsign to 4LW in 1929 with 50 watts.
4PW - Ipswich
Experimental station owned by Percy Woods. First Queensland country broadcasting station. Renowned for regular outside broadcasts.
4VT - Townsville
Experimental station owned by Sid Dahl. Also see 4KA Ayr 1933.
4QL - Brisbane
Experimental station owned by the Queensland Listeners League. Transmitter at Paddington. This callsign was reissued to the A.B.C. at Longreach on 19 Mar 1947.
4RQ - Brisbane
Experimental station owned by the Radio Society of Queensland. Transmitter at the Trades Hall.
4BW - Mareeba
Experimental station owned by Andy Couper, who also experimented with X-rays.
1922 - 4CB - Murgon
Experimental station owned by Arch Caswell in the basement of the Town Hall. He built a receiver into a book whilst a Japanese P.O.W. in WWII.
4CG - Toowoomba
Experimental station owned by Cliff Gold (nephew of Ted Gold - see 4EG Toowoomba, 4GR Toowoomba 16 Aug 1925 and 4CG Brisbane).
4EG - Toowoomba
Experimental station owned by Edward Gold. Once broadcast a complete Eisteddfod. On air each evening for 30 minutes. Became commercial station 4GR on 16 Aug 1925. (Also see 4CG Brisbane).
1923 - 4AP - Brisbane
Broadcast station owned by T. Bridger. Transmitter at Hamilton.
1923 - 4EM - Charleville
Broadcast station owned by Ernest Marrs, with a homemade transmitter in his house. On air each Sunday morning on 1250 kHz Ernest moved to Dubbo in 1933 and started 2EM which closed in 1935. 4EM was later licensed as commercial station 4VL on 12 Feb 1936.
4RJ - Brisbane
Broadcast station owned by Rev. R.J. Delbridge with religious music. Winner of "Best Broadcast Station 1931". Transmitter at Paddington.
4FM - Cairns
Broadcast station owned by F. Moody.
4KL - Cairns
Broadcast station owned by I. Johnson.
4KO - Ipswich
Broadcast station owned by Norm Hart.
4WS - Ipswich
Broadcast station owned by W. Sebley.
4RP - Toowoomba
Broadcast station owned by Robertson & Provan Ltd.
Broadcast station owned by the Junction Park Radio Club at Yeronga.
4AF - Clifton
Experimental station owned by A.F. Marshall.
4BO - Charters Towers
Broadcast station owned by Norm Odgers. Closed in 1925.
4BM - Mackay
Broadcast station owned by the A.B. Milne Radio Shop.
4XK - Ipswich
Broadcast station owned by George Richards using a two watt transmitter.
4PG - Brisbane
Broadcast station owned by Pat Golden transmitting from Wynnum on weekends.
4GW - Brisbane
Broadcast station owned by George Hams. Transmitter at Northgate. Closed in 1933.
4RB - Brisbane
Broadcast station owned by Robert Brown transmitting from Toowong every night.
4GO - Brisbane
Broadcast station owned by G. Oxlade transmitting from Newmarket every night.
4AL - Brisbane
Broadcast station owned by Bruce Munro transmitting from Hawthorne every night.
4JU - Brisbane
Broadcast station owned by Frank Nolan transmitting from Spring Hill on weekends.
4CG - Brisbane
Broadcast station owned by Cliff Gold (nephew of Edward Gold) transmitting from Hill End on weekends. (Also see 4CG, 4EG and 4GR in Toowoomba).
4RM - Brisbane
Broadcast station owned by Ray McIntosh. Transmitter at Hawthorne. Ray had listeners all over Australia and New Zealand. His application for a commercial licence was rejected, so he went to work with 4QG.
4WA - Brisbane
Broadcast station owned by Bill Young. Transmitter at West End. On air each night.
4SM - Townsville
Broadcast station owned by W. Ikin on behalf of the Strand Motors Radio Shop.
4FE - Brisbane
Broadcast station operated by Arthur Burton on behalf of the Fortitude Valley Y.M.C.A.
4LC - Bundaberg
Broadcast station owned by Len Currie. On air Sunday mornings.
4PC - Brisbane
Broadcast station owned by Percy Chapman. Transmitter at Sandgate.
4WG - Innisfail
Broadcast station owned by W.G. Clayton. On air every Sunday.
4PK - Ipswich
Broadcast station owned by Stan McIntosh. Stan played records borrowed from music shops. Often heard in Victoria. Renowned for his excellent quality broadcasts.
4UZ - Toowoomba
Broadcast station owned by A. Hardy Buzacott (later Chief Engineer at 4GR).
4AW - Brisbane
Broadcast station owned by A. Walz. Transmitter at Nundah.
4RV - Cunnamulla
Broadcast station owned by Reg Vickary, using a battery powered 12 watt transmitter. Renowned for broadcasts of local football matches. Reg moved his station to Warwick in 1936.
4WH - Longreach
Broadcast station owned by William Heggarty.
4MM - Brisbane
Broadcast station owned by Matt O'Brien. Transmitter at Toowong.
4KH - Brisbane
Broadcast station owned by W. Argeat. Transmitter at Wynnum. Often heard in New Zealand.
1923 - 4FK - Brisbane
Broadcast station owned by F. Matthews. Transmitter at New Farm. This callsign was reissued to another broadcast licensee (Vern Kenna) in 1931 at Hamilton.
1923 - 4AC - Innisfail
Broadcast station owned by Leslie Waters.
4XN - Dalby
Broadcast station owned by Eric Nissen, who worked for the P.M.G. all his life. Eric was honoured by Queen Elizabeth II with an Imperial Service Medal.
4HW - Brisbane
Broadcast station owned by the Harold Walsh Radio Shop using a five watt transmitter at Hamilton. Also used the callsign 4WR.
1924 - 4BK - Innisfail
Broadcast station owned by C. Randall. Closed in 1930, with the callsign being reissued to a commercial station in Brisbane on 29 Sep 1930.
1924 - 4CS - Townsville
Broadcast station owned by J. Geraghty. He later moved to Gympie and installed his station in the Town Hall. Closed in 1928.
1924 - 4CU - Clifton
Broadcast station owned by Charles Walker.
1924 - 4RC - Brisbane
Broadcast station owned by R. Campbell. Transmitter at Kelvin Grove.
Apr 1924 - 4DO - Rockhampton
Broadcast station owned by C. Hobler.
4 Aug 1924 - 4WN - Brisbane
Broadcast station owned by F. Thomas on behalf of the Wooloowin Radio Club, using a 10 watt transmitter. On air Thursdays and Sundays. Congratulated by 4QG Director, J. Robinson, on their excellent service to listeners on 1 Aug 1927. Probably the most active radio club in Queensland.
1925 - 4GC - Maryborough
Broadcast station owned by the Maryborough Radio Club. Their callsign was later changed to 4MO. The 4GC callsign was reissued to a commercial station at Charters Towers, owned by 4AY, in 1976.
26 Apr 1925 - 4AZ - Brisbane
Broadcast station operated by Frank Sharpe (later VK4ZFS) on behalf of Radio Manufacturers Ltd using a 20 watt transmitter at Ashgrove.
13 May 1925 - 4SS - Brisbane
Broadcast station owned by the South Brisbane Radio Club. Transmitter at Stones Corner. They designed equipment to experiment with television, but closed in 1937 before transmissions commenced. (Commercial licence 4NA Nambour [9 Oct 1964] changed their callsign to 4SS in 1983).
Jul 1925 - 4ME - Brisbane
This callsign was used by A.W.A. to test the original 4QG transmitter. QSL cards are rare and highly prized. (A.W.A. also used the callsigns 2ME (short wave) in Sydney and 3ME in Melbourne).
1925 - 4HB - Charleville
Broadcast station owned by H. Baker with a two watt transmitter.
27 Jul 1925 - 4QG - Brisbane
All available receivers were tested in Toowoomba for reception capabilities. Opened by the Premier W. Gillies, however, a broadcast from the Tivoli Theatre Orchestra was abandoned. Their opening broadcast was described by the Queenslander newspaper as "generally disappointing". On air 1300-1330, 1500-1600, 1830-1900 and 2000-2205 (0630-0700 and 1300-2300 in 1927). Aired 71 outside broadcasts in September 1927. Praised for broadcasting the sound of three roaches walking across a microphone. Once objected to Government censorship despite Queensland Government ownership. 1948 control room for 4QG - 4QR - VLQ - VLM. Unsuccessfully applied for a relay license near Toowoomba in 1928. Made a profit from advertising of £5,211 in 1928. Often heard throughout Alaska, Hawaii, and Japan. Broadcast the arrival of record breaking aviatrix Amy Johnson at Eagle Farm airport on 30 May 1930 (shortest ever outside broadcast in the world). All the announcer said was "Christ, she's crashed" and the broadcast was immediately cut. Installed a 5,000 watt transmitter in 1930. Their first A.W.A. 1,000 watt transmitter (serial number one) installed by Joe Reed (see 2JR 1922) was used to start 4BK on 29 Sep 1930 and 4AK on 31 Aug 1935 (the only Australian transmitter used to start three stations). Often heard in Victoria on crystal sets. Programs were provided by the privately owned Australian Broadcasting Co. from 30 Jan 1930 with 60 minutes of advertising daily, until taken over by the Australian Broadcasting Commission (A.B.C.) on 1 Jul 1932. On air 0730-0830, 1100-1400, 1500-1630, and 1800-2300. Installed a disc recorder in 1935. A cricket commentator died on air during a cricket broadcast on 2 Nov 1936. Popular announcer Russ Tyson took over the high rating "Hospital Half Hour" and the breakfast program. Became 4RN in October 1990.
16 Aug 1925 - 4GR - Toowoomba
Previously experimental station 4EG, owned by Edward Gold of Gold Radio Electrical Service above Perrins Cafe. Started with the 4EG 50 watt equipment. Opening night featured local artists. Installed landlines to the Town Hall, Strand Theatre, and the Presbyterian Church. Known as "The Voice of the Downs". Installed a 500 watt transmitter built by Edward at Drayton in November 1935 which was heard in Hobart and Adelaide. Off the air when their tower fell down in 1938. Increased hours to 0630-0930, 1200-1400, and 1730-2230 after WWII. Off the air in 1966 when a plane hit their tower. A listener phoned to ask why they hadn't broadcast such important news. Hardy Buzacott (4UZ) became their Chief Engineer. Moved into new premises in June 1968, with a free celebration dance for listeners at the Julius Caesar Lounge. Briefly owned by 2GB in an aborted attempt to own an Australia-wide network. Has now opened a relay transmitter at Stanthorpe. Currently owned by Southern Cross Austereo. Also see and Brisbane, 4MB Maryborough 16 Aug 1932, and 4VL Charleville 12 Feb 1936.
by 2GB in an aborted attempt to own an Australia-wide network. Has now launched a relay transmitter at Stanthorpe. Currently owned by Southern Cross Austereo. Also see 4CG Toowoomba and Brisbane, 4MB Maryborough 16 Aug 1932, and 4VL Charleville 12 Feb 1936. The photo is Frank Warwick.
NEWSPAPER ARTICLE AND PHOTOGRAPH FROM 1936
1926 - 4BD - Brisbane
Broadcast station owned by Benjamin Grimes. Transmitter at Tarragindi.
1926 - 4MB - Brisbane
Owned by Radio Manufacturers Brisbane. Projected commercial station which never went to air. This callsign was reissued to a commercial station in Maryborough on 16 Aug 1932.
1927 - 4AT - Brisbane
Broadcast station owned by Alfred T. Bauer, an employee of G. J. Grice Music Store, where the station was situated. All records played on air were borrowed from the store. This callsign was later reissued to a commercial station at Atherton in 1939.
1928 - 4TC - Brisbane
Broadcast station owned by the Toombul Radio Club. Transmitter at Nundah.
1928 - 4RM - Brisbane
Broadcast station owned by Ray McIntosh. Transmitter at Hawthorne. Also see separate article on 4RM.
1929 - 4GG - Chinchilla
Broadcast station owned by George Heilbronn. Often heard in N.S.W. with half a watt on Sunday mornings, using batteries, as no mains power was available. Broadcast local cricket matches in 1933. George established a "Chinchilla Listeners League" which provided a radio connected to headphones beside each bed in the local hospital in 1937. This callsign was reissued to a commercial station at the Gold Coast on 30 Sep 1967.
1929 - 4JO - Gympie
Broadcast station owned by Steve Fittell from the Fittell Radio and Electric Service. Powered by batteries, as no electric power was available at his home. Operated using two watts and a homemade microphone, five hours a week. Steve moved his studio to his shop in 1931 with a power increase to 30 watts. He had many listeners throughout Australia and New Zealand. Forced to close in 1939 due to WWII radio restrictions. He then established 4GY on 3 Nov 1941. Steve later established the Australian branch of the Far East Broadcasting Company.
1929 - 4JH - Mackay
Broadcast station owned by John H. Williams. Became commercial licence 4MK in 1931.
1929 - 4KR - Barcaldine
Broadcast station owned by J.K. Richardson.
1930 - 4VH - Townsville
Broadcast station owned by H. Wooster. Heard regularly in Port Moresby on 25 watts. On air Sunday mornings. The licence was cancelled when commercial station 4TO commenced on 5 Oct 1931.
8 Aug 1930 - 4CH - Charleville
Commercial licence issued to R. Gaskin, then later cancelled due to not opening. This callsign was reissued to the A.B.C. at Charleville in 1982. Also see 4CH Brisbane 1921.
1930 - 4MF - Brisbane
Broadcast station owned by D. Winterford. Transmitter at Annerley.
16 Aug 1930 - 4BC - Brisbane
Owned by John Beale Chandler (Mayor of Brisbane in 1940, a Member of Parliament, and later Knighted). On air 0630-1300 using 200 watts from a 200 feet high tower. Started with five staff (manager, announcer, salesman, engineer, [Thomas Elliott from 4CM], and secretary). Their first broadcast was the first Test match of an Australian cricket tour of England. Loudspeakers around Brisbane were crowded with listeners. First Australian station to use a crystal controlled transmitter (1,000 watts in 1932). Member of the Federal Radio Network (2UW, 3DB, 5AD, and 6ML). Manufactured and sold their "Gloriola" radios. Relayed Charles Kingsford Smith's arrival from London live to 2UW, plus 3DB and 5AD, via landline, plus 6ML via A.W.A. shortwave station, VK2ME. Known as "The Radio Voice of Queensland". First station to broadcast a live Aboriginal corroboree, which was relayed by VK2ME (the Aborigines sent a special greeting to King George V). By 1937, they had 50 staff with a move to the Wintergarden Theatre. In 1938, 60,000 people attended their charity concert at Southport, using 10 trains from Brisbane and one from Ipswich. Live boxing broadcasts were very popular. In 1940, listeners raised enough money to buy 26 training aircraft for the war effort. Increased power to 1,000 watts in 1943 using an A.W.A. transmitter at Fig Tree Pocket (2,000 watts in 1953, and 5,000 in 1976). After WWII, all the original amateur licensees were denied access to the A.M. band. All the Brisbane broadcast amateurs were granted time on 4BC to relive their experiences and say goodbye to their listeners. This was arranged by Thomas Elliott from 4CM who was still their Chief Engineer. Sacked all their female announcers in 1950. (This was also done by 4BK and 4KQ). Introduced 24 hour broadcasting on 15 Oct 1951. Instigated a children's "Pals" club in the 1950s. Experimented with stereo in 1958 (see 4BK for details). Known as "Funtastic 4BC", with the slogan "Most People Listen to 4BC" in 1964. Changed to a "Sport-Talk-News" format on 1 Oct 1981. The photo is Sir John Beals Chandler.
29 Sep 1930 - 4BK - Brisbane
Originally planned to operate as 4FO. Situated in the Brisbane King House building. Used the original 1,000 watt transmitter from 4QG, (set at 500 watts), which was later used to start 4AK. Formed a 1930s '4BK Radio Club' with community singing, dancing to jazz bands, and picnics for listeners. Bought by the Courier Mail newspaper on 15 Nov 1941, calling themselves "The Newspaper of the Air". Their new studios were opened by Ernest Fisk. Relayed to 4AK, and later, some programs to 4IP. First Australian station to establish its own orchestra. Known as "4BK-Our Best Always". All the female announcers were sacked in 1950 (4BC and 4KQ did the same). They started a children's "Stamp" club in the 1950s. Experimented with stereo in 1958 with 4BC; one station broadcast the right channel and the other broadcast the left; listeners needed two radios to hear stereo. Had five owners in 18 months before being sold to Austereo in 1988. Known as "Classic Hits 4BK" from 1988. Became B105FM in March 1990. Their 1296 kHz A.M. frequency was then given to 4RPH.
1931 - 4NW - Brisbane
Broadcast station owned by Tom Starkie on behalf of the Queensland Radio Transmitters League, using a 35 watt transmitter at Toombul. Tom was the first person to broadcast his own heartbeat. Known as "Your Night and Weekend Station". Closed in 1933.
1931 - 4FK - Brisbane
Broadcast station owned by Vern Kenna. Transmitter at Hamilton. This callsign was previously issued to F. Matthews as another broadcast station in 1923.
1931 - 4EF - Brisbane
Broadcast station owned by Evan Fell. Transmitter at Ashgrove.
1931 - 4BB - Maryborough
Broadcast station owned by Bob Beatson. Bob was later appointed the first Chief Engineer for commercial station 4MB (he worked for the owner in his music store). See 4MB 16 Aug 1932.
12 Jan 1931 - 4MK - Mackay
Owned by John H. Williams (VK4JH) with the studio, record library, and a 50 watt transmitter in his house. On air two hours each night. First licensed as 4JH in 1929. Operated at a loss for the first four years. Records played were borrowed from listeners. Appointed local agents for Qantas, meeting four planes each week. The Daily Mercury newspaper bought a half share in 1937, increasing hours to three each night. Acted as the emergency communications centre in 1938 during an air and sea search for a missing launch. Plans to establish a studio in Brisbane were cancelled due to WWII. Increased on-air hours to 0630-0830, 0930-1100, 1330-1730, and 1830-2300 after WWII. Their 1940s motto was "We Strive to Excel" (also see 2XL Cooma, 30 Aug 1937). Moved into the local museum in the 1940s (also operated by John), and increased power to 100 watts (2,000 watts in 1950). John was still doing the breakfast show well into his 70s. Due to his poor eyesight, John spent one hour exercising his eyes to focus properly before going on air. Moved into the School of Arts building in 1950. Often heard in the U.K. and Canada. Known as "The Voice of the Barrier Reef". Thieves stole £11 during a break-in on 11 Aug 1952. On 21 Dec 1952 they were put off the air by a lightning strike. Renowned for outside broadcasts. Moved to new studios in Sydney Street in 1971. Bought by TVQ-0 TV in the 1980s. Commenced 24 hour broadcasting on 1 Nov 1981. Changed from a Top 40 format to Adult Contemporary in 1995. Moved to F.M. on 1 Jul 1999, and launched 4AA on their A.M. frequency.
29 Jul 1931 - 4RK - Rockhampton
Originally licensed in 1924 to the Queensland Government as a relay of 4QG but never went to air. Programs came from the privately owned Australian Broadcasting Company with 60 minutes of advertisements per day, using a 2,000 watt STC transmitter at Gracemere. First planned to use callsign 4RN. Their opening broadcast was from the School of Arts hall with local artists. Their first studio was in the Post Office (later in the City Hall). Many listeners in New Zealand, and the only station heard clearly on Mornington Island. Ceased airing advertisements when taken over by the A.B.C. on 1 Jul 1932, relaying 4QG, and later, 4QR, with some local programs. Moved into new studios in 1963. A plane crash near Clermont killed four of their staff in the 1980s. Again moved in 1998, into what had been the gold store for the Mount Morgan Gold Mining Company. The control room was in their gold ore vault. Now uses relay transmitters at Emerald (often heard overseas), Gladstone, Biloela, and Alpha. The photo is their first studio in 1931, on air with Mr. Gardiner.
5 Oct 1931 - 4TO - Townsville
Owned by A.W.A. Ernest Fisk was a director. Opened by the Mayor, W. Heatley, during a broadcast of 200 local artists from the Theatre Royal. Started on 200 watts (500 watts in 1948, 2,000 in 1951, and 5,000 in 1981). On air six hours daily over four time slots. First station to have a two-way live broadcast from an aeroplane. Produced a weekly Radio Times newsletter in 1936. Often relayed A.W.A. station 9MI, the world's only floating broadcaster, on the M.V. Kanimbla from 1936 to 1939. Scientists on Willis Island in the Coral Sea had good reception. Started their "Kiwi" and "Smile" children's clubs in the 1950s, plus a women's "Singing" club. Cyclone Althea wiped out their studio in 1971. Went back on air with a makeshift studio hurriedly installed at their transmitter. The cyclone also destroyed their manager's house (Joe Oost from Radio Holland). They handled all emergency services communications while the Townsville telephone system was down. Now has an F.M. relay at Bowen.
1932 - 4RE - Brisbane
Broadcast station owned by the Regent Radio Club, and operated by Sound Engineers from the Western Electric Company. Closed in 1935.
2 Jan 1932 - 4BH - Brisbane
Owned by Grice's Music Store with a 200 watt transmitter at Bald Hills. Sold in 1933 to 4BC as a "Chandler Station", with a 1,000 watt transmitter built by Len Schultz (see 2LO and 2GB). Announcer Bob Rogers banned the Elvis Presley hit "Heartbreak Hotel" in 1956. First Australian station to use a directional antenna (installed by A.W.A. in 1957). Their slogan was "4BH for Brighter Hours". Broadcast "Rumpus Room" live from various cinemas after school, with up to 1,000 children attending. Described by school Headmasters as "an unwelcome influence upon youngsters". Started a "Lone Ranger" boys club and a "Kookaburra" girls club in the 1950s, plus a "Bridge" club. Known as "The Top Dog Station" in the 1960s. Launched a "Beautiful Music" format in 1975. Bid successfully to convert to F.M. in 1990, but couldn't afford it. (Second bidder, 4KQ, also couldn't pay). Started an unsuccessful "Talkback" format in 1994, going into receivership in 1995. Sold for $2,000,000, then bought by 4KQ in 1998 for $12,000,000 after gaining top ratings. Their towers collapsed in 2002 due to teenagers cutting their guy wires. They stated in court that they didn't like the music. They were sentenced to 200 hours community service.
2 Jul 1932 - 4RO - Rockhampton
Owned by 4BC with four staff. Opened by the Mayor, J. Lee. On air 1800-2215. Relayed several 4BC programs using 50 watts (200 watts in 1933). Their Radio Players drama group produced numerous plays in the 1930s. In 1939 a radio appeal for Easter eggs raised 2,500 eggs for local orphanages. Increased hours 0600-2200 daily after WWII. Known as "The Voice of Central Queensland". Local artists were popular in the 1940s during evening programs. Increased power to 2,000 watts in 1953 with a new transmitter at Pink Lily. Opened a relay transmitter at Gladstone. Lost out to 4CD/4CC for a relay licence at Biloela. Bought by Prime TV in 2005.
16 Aug 1932 - 4MB - Maryborough
See 4BB Maryborough 1931. This callsign was first issued in Brisbane in 1926 as a commercial licence, which didn't go to air. Owned by Alf Wynne (a piano tuner), and installed in his house using a 100 watt transmitter built by 4BC. Known on air as "Wynnes Station" (later "The Voice of the Wide"). His two towers were trees 122 feet high, cut from a Fraser Island forest, which also provided tall trees for support during the building of the Suez Canal in Egypt. Test programs were heard in New Zealand. First official broadcast was a concert from the Town Hall with local artists. On air 1830-2200 except Sundays. Moved to Alf's Music and Radio Shop in Kent Street in 1937. Member of the Queensland Network with 4BC, 4SB, 4GR, and 4RO. Their "Women's" club closed due to war-time restrictions mandating an air-raid shelter for any meeting over 30 people, but they still managed to knit thousands of garments for WWII soldiers. After WWII, on air hours were 0830-1000, 1200-1400, and 1830-2200. Geoff Gold, son of Ted Gold (see 4GR, 4CG, 4EG) died aged 28 after accepting the manager's position. Popular QTQ-9 TV newsreader, Bruce Paige, started his career here. Moved to new studios in 1973. Warren Mitchell (aka "Alf Garnett" of the B.B.C. TV comedy: "Till Death Do Us Part") presented a breakfast show in 1974. During a 1974 flood, the police moved into their office as the police station was flooded. They brought a Prisoner and handcuffed him to a desk, and he took all the emergency phone calls. Their original wooden towers were sliced up with engravings as souvenirs for their 50th anniversary. An April Fool's joke had the studio clock put forward 30 minutes. Many people turned up early for work. Now known as 4MMB on air as 103.5 MIXFM, with their 1161 kHz A.M. frequency used by the T.A.B. for a racing service.
1932 - 4LD - Laidley
. Broadcast station owned by Kenneth Gunn, located at his 'Inverness' property. Most programs were live and featured local artists.
1933 - 4NS - Townsville
Broadcast station owned by the Townsville Radio Club. Later changed to 4NQ.
1933 - 4EL - Brisbane
Broadcast station owned by Eric Lake. Transmitter at Kangaroo Point. Short-lived, as his tower fell across his neighbour's yards. This callsign was reissued as a Cairns commercial licence on 26 Feb 1999.
1933 - 4RY - Toowoomba
Broadcast station owned by W. Harson.
1933 - 4HR - Brisbane
Broadcast station owned by Tibby Scholtz. Transmitter at Coorparoo.
1933 - 4TS - Brisbane
Broadcast station owned by Ted Shorten. Transmitter at Paddington.
1933 - 4KA - Ayr
Broadcast station owned by Sid Dahl (brother of Norman Dahl who opened 4AY Ayr on 1 Oct 1934). Sid later worked as an announcer at 4TO. Also see 4VT Townsville, and 4AY Ayr 1 Oct 1934.
1 Oct 1934 - 4AY - Ayr
Started by Norman Dahl at his Tarawingie farm near Airdmillan with 50 watts (see 4VT Townsville, and 4KA Ayr 1933), on air 1800-2230. Known as "The Voice of the Cane Fields", then "The Voice of the North". Often heard in New Guinea, New Zealand, Solomon Islands, Fiji, and Canada. Moved to Ayr in 1936 with a Phillips 200 watt transmitter, (500 watts in 1940, 1,000 in 1951 and 5,000 in 1976). Banned by the Navy from night broadcasts from 3 Mar 1942 to 12 Apr 1943as their signals could be used as a homing device for WWII bombers. Charged 2/6 for requests on weekends, being their main revenue source. On 8 Mar 1946, they relayed all emergency communications during severe flooding as other communications had been destroyed. Sold to their engineer, Jack Gleeson (from 4CA) in 1950. Installed a wire recorder in 1950. On 6 Jun 1952 they broadcast from the Charters Towers Mount Carmel College to celebrate their fiftieth year. Opened a Townsville office and studio in 1952, and a studio in Ingham. Their tower was destroyed by a cyclone in 1956. Closed their Ayr operations in 1957. (See 4AY Townsville 1957, and Innisfail 1991). Announcer Frank Bellet The First 4AY Studio
1934 - 4EA - Toowoomba
Broadcast station owned by Eric Ashlin. Situated in the Rosenstengels Store, using records from their electrical department.
1934 - 4UK - Toowoomba
Broadcast station owned by H. Herschel.
1934 - 4JN - Brisbane
Broadcast station owned by G. Augustesen. Transmitter at Mitchelton.
1934 - 4JM - Nambour
Broadcast station owned by J. McDermott. Very popular station broadcasting from his radio store. He also operated the Maroochydore cinema, and used the station to advertise his movies.
6 May 1935 - 4WK - Warwick
Owned by the local A.W.A. retailer. On air 0700-1400 and 1730-2230. A grand piano playing live to air fell through the studio floor, thanks to termites. Often heard in New Zealand using 50 watts. Their slogan was "The Listener's Companion". The only Australian station to feature their own Mouth Organ Band. Often relayed programs from the A.W.A. installed 9MI, the world's only floating radio station, on the M.V. Kanimbla, from 1936 to 1939. Started their popular children's "Smile" club in the 1950s. Bought by A.W.A. on 11 Dec 1967. Joined the Colour Radio Network from 28 Feb 1973 (4IP, 4LG, and 4LM), then was part of the New England Network (2TM, 2AD, 2RE and 2MO) from November 1978. In January 1995 they purchased 4AK, and moved into their Toowoomba premises in June. Now uses relay transmitters at Toowoomba, Dalby, and Stanthorpe, being part of the Super Radio Network, relaying most programs from 2SM.
31 Aug 1935 - 4AK - Oakey
Used the original 1,000 watt transmitter from 4QG and 4BK, (now in the Oakey museum - the only Australian transmitter used to launch three radio stations). Their 210 feet high tower was railed to Oakey in four sections, and was the highest Australian tower as it was 600 feet above sea level. Owned by 4BK and relayed their programs, except for a two hour session every night. Organised live Community Singing broadcasts from the Theatre Royal every Tuesday afternoon. Their popular Amateur Trials program was broadcast live every Friday night featuring local amateur performers. On 27 Sep 1935 they were put off the air due to a lightning strike on their tower, and again on 19 Jan 1947 when several next door buildings were destroyed by fire, cutting off their power. One year after opening, they arranged for a program survey for listeners to fill out being published in the local newspaper. Bought by the Courier Mail newspaper on 15 Nov 1941. On 19 Jan 1947 they installed an STC 2,000 watt transmitter. In 1953 they sold their second transmitter (2,000 watts) to 2RE for their start. Moved to Toowoomba in 1972 with their own studio and programs. Then bought 4WK in January 1995, and moved them to their Toowoomba studios. Opened a relay transmitter at Stanthorpe on 31 Aug 2005. This callsign was first issued as an experimental station at Brisbane in 1922. 4AK Newsreader Mark Plummer
1935 - 4FM - Cairns
Broadcast station owned by F. Moody.
1935 - 4CB - Murgon
Broadcast station owned by Arch Caswell.
1935 - 4PW - Ipswich
Broadcast station owned by P. Wood.
1935 - 4GS - Brisbane
Broadcast station owned by G. Strohfeldt. Transmitter at Paddington.
2 Sep 1935 - 4IP - Ipswich
Started on 50 watts. First manager was Jim Jordan from his experimental broadcast station 4JJ. Initially relayed some programs from 4BK. Their first studio had glass walls to allow visitors to watch. Used a locally built three channel mixer (microphone, turntable, and a radio tuned to 4BK). All initial announcers were auditioned locally with no previous experience. Their manager was Terence Lampart, who was also Chief Announcer, producer, and radio play writer. Known as "Station 4IP in the Heart of Ipswich". Railway station announcements and train whistles were often heard when the microphone was on. Relayed several broadcasts from A.W.A. installed 9MI, the world's only floating radio station, on board the M.V. Kanimbla from 1936 to 1939. Started a children's "Smile" club in the 1950s. Known as "Colour Radio, The Sound You Can See" in the 1960s, using 1,000 watts. Their "Kellogg's Breakfast" club outside broadcasts attracted up to 40,000 people. Announcers once raced elephants up the main street for a circus promotion. Installed a television studio to produce news for TVQ-0 TV in the 1970s. The news stories were driven to TVQ-0 with a second car following in case of an accident. Introduced the "More Music" format to Australia. Used an old 4BK standby transmitter and aerial when their own transmitter was flooded in 1974; they then drove around Ipswich with a loud hailer advising that they were back on the air. Installed a 2,000 watt transmitter on Helena Island, covering Brisbane, the Sunshine Coast, and the Gold Coast. Announcer John Knox once broadcast from a circus lions' cage. Moved to Brisbane in 1977 when bought by 2SM. Brisbane's top rating pop music station until the introduction of F.M. Changed their callsign to 4IO, known as "Four-Ten" in 1978. Later introduced a slogan of "Light and Easy 1008", before going back to 4IP in 1989. Eventually became 4TAB as a national horse and greyhound racing service (closed 0000-0600)
25 Oct 1935 - 4PM - Port Moresby
Opened at 4PM. Owned by A.W.A. Known as "The Voice of Papua". On air 1300-1400 and 1800-1900, except Sundays, mainly with weather, shipping, and aircraft movement news, plus personal messages, due to poor mail and telephone services. Their program policy stated that "they would restrict jazz artists, syncopaters, and crooners". Heard throughout Australia and New Zealand with 100 watts. Closed on 16 Dec 1941 (see 9PA 26 Feb 1944 in the Military Radio listing). The A.W.A. staff then worked for the Australian military, establishing military communications throughout Papua/New Guinea during WWII. (Also see 9PA 1 Jul 1946 in this listing).
16 Dec 1935 - 4BU - Bundaberg
Their first Chief Engineer and manager was Jim Jordan from 4JJ (see 4IP 2 Sep 1935). He built the original 200 watt transmitter and studio equipment. Their 150' tower collapsed before opening. Known as "The Voice of the Burnett". Started with seven advertisers. Broadcast many live stage plays, revues, and concerts in the 1930s. Increased power to 500 watts in 1938 (2,500 in 1972). Recorded many programs for relay during WWII to troops in New Guinea. Joined the Macquarie Radio Network in 1944. An announcer was bailed out of gaol for his breakfast shift in 1949. Their "Peters Pals" children's club was broadcast live from the local picture theatre in the 1950s, attracting large audiences. Off the air on 1 Jan 1956 due to a lightning strike. 24 hour broadcasts started in 1957 with a move into a purpose built building. Their "4BU Friends" club raised enough money to pay for a radio beside each bed in local hospitals. Broadcast live from every annual agricultural show in the area, with a microphone attached to a P.M.G. landline. Their popular sports announcer, George Lovejoy, accepted a position at 4BH as manager. Their tower collapsed due to a cyclone in 1972. It was replaced with a directional antenna. Opened a separate F.M. service in 1993. 4BU 1939 Studio
12 Feb 1936 - 4VL - Charleville
Started by Ernest Marrs with 50 watts (see 4EM 1923). Their manager was Walter Exton (2XN, 4AY, and 4MB). Put off the air by a flood, and also when the electricity bill wasn't paid. Also closed when a King Brown snake invaded the studio. Known as "The Voice of Western Queensland". A storm destroyed one of their towers on 7 Feb 1936. Bought by Edward Gold from (4EG and 4GR) on 1 Dec 1937. He then built and installed a 200 watt transmitter. Sold the station to local shareholders on 10 Mar 1944. Closed 1400-1700 until 1945. On 1 Oct 1949 their Radio Women's Club held a fund- raising appeal for a radio distribution system in the local hospital. Increased power to 1,000 watts on 6 Oct 1952. On 16 Apr 1954 they broadcast a ball raising £13,000 for Legacy. Moved into a new building named "Radio House" in 1956. Held an annual Legacy appeal 1954-1964, with local dignitaries helping. Later known as "The Voice of the Far West". Installed a three hop link from Birdsville for the Birdsville races which failed. They then used a public phone at the hotel to pass on race results. Installed a relay transmitter at Cunnamulla in 1983, followed by Augathella, Wyandra, Mungallala, Tambo, Scotburn, Quilpie, and Morven. Purchased by 8HA in 1984, and then sold to 2WEB in 1986. Also see 4CH 28 Aug 1930.
2 May 1936 - 4CA - Cairns
A.W.A. station opened by Chairman, Ernest Fisk. On air 1200-1400, and 1800-2230 using 50 watts. Known on air as "Top of Australia Radio". Relayed some programs from A.W.A. station 9MI, the worlds' only floating station from 1936-1939, on the M.V. Kanimbla. Broadcast a Grand Debutante Ball on 16 May 1937 with music by the "Swing Stars". Banned from mentioning "4CA" or "Cairns" during WWII. The manager's safe was blown up on 28 Jun 1941 with £23 stolen. Popular live shows each Thursday with local artists and a studio audience from 1946-1949. On 14 Mar 1950 their transmitter was moved to higher ground to avoid flooding. An Easter appeal for Legacy raised £6,046 in 1955. Staff helped 4TO stay on air during a 1971 cyclone. On air 24/7 from in 1975. Opened relay transmitters at Gordonvale and Cooktown. Also opened a local Cooktown station June/July each year in the 1980s to promote their festival. Moved to F.M. on 26 Feb 1999, launching 4EL on their A.M. frequency. Sold to Prime TV in 2005.
1936 - 4RV - Warwick
Broadcast station owned by Reg Vickary (Vickary's Radio Service). Previously at Cunnamulla.
5 May 1936 - 4LG - Longreach
Mr Nicholson was first manager, salesman, announcer, and technician. Opened with a diesel generator to power their 300 watt transmitter. On air 0730-0830, 1230-1330, and 1800-2100. Renowned for hillbilly and country music. Owned by the Longreach Leader. Started a weekly live program featuring the Longreach town band on 17 Feb 1937. Enjoyed excellent reception on Thursday Island. Their transmitter and technician's house were destroyed by fire on 10 May 1946. They then installed a 500 watt transmitter. Off the air again seven weeks later when a fire destroyed their power generator. Relayed all emergency communications during regular floods. Known as "The Voice Of The Central West". Installed a 1,000 watt Phillips transmitter on 30 Dec 1948. Their transmitter was once closed down by a goannas' antics. Their 180 feet high tower fell over during a 1972 storm, and the Army was persuaded to erect a temporary tower. First Queensland station to install automatic programming equipment. Installed relay transmitters at Tambo, Blackwall, and Winton. They bought a transmitter from 2UE in 2000 when 2UE installed a new transmitter for the Sydney Olympic Games.
26 Nov 1936 - 4QN - Townsville
A.B.C., relaying 4QG with several local programs, in the A.M.P. building, using a 7,000 watt transmitter. Closed at 1800 during WWII as their signal made Townsville a night-time bombing target. Warned by the P.M.G. that their licence would be cancelled if they continued to broadcast adult material during children's times. Their later 10,000 watt transmitter at Clevedon (then the most powerful in Queensland) was destroyed by fire on 26 May 1951. A new 50,000 watt transmitter was installed at Brandon (near Ayr). Their tower fell down on 19 Feb 1963. Their offices and studios moved into a defence building in 1963 which had housed the marine section of the R.A.A.F during WWII., then into their TV building in 1964. Started broadcasting from the annual Townsville Show in 1982.
23 Jul 1937 - 4ZR - Roma
Designed and built by Edward (Ted) Gold (see 4GR 16 Aug 1925). He also built their 100 watt transmitter. Originally planned to open as 4RM with 500 watts. Officially opened by the Federal Attorney General, the Hon. Robert Menzies (later Sir Robert and our Prime Minister). Heard in Hawaii, New Zealand, New Guinea, Thursday Island, Perth, Adelaide and Melbourne. Almost closed during WWII due to financial problems. Increased on-air hours to 0700-0900, 1200-1400, and 1800-2200 daily after WWII using 200 watts from new studios in the Town Hall. Known as "The Voice of the West". Increased power to 2,000 watts in 1955. Now has relay transmitters at Mitchell and Spring Gully.
7 Jan 1938 - 4QR - Brisbane
A.B.C. Queensland Radio. Originally planned to operate as 4BR (Brisbane Radio). Their first announcer was Ian Skippen. During WWII, the American Forces Radio Service used the 4QR studios to produce programs for their stations which were also broadcast on 4QR. Their very popular "Hospital Hour" (later a national program), received 30,000 letters during its first 5 years. Installed a 650 feet high tower in 1948 with a 60 feet wide umbrella top (shared with 4QG). Sadly, numerous historical recordings were destroyed during floods in 1974.
11 Mar 1938 - 4SB - Kingaroy
South Burnett Broadcasting. Most programs were on relay from 4BC. Contact with their control room was via Morse code. Their 2,000 watt transmitter (3,000 watts in 1945) was at Wooroolin. Known as "The Voice of the South Burnett". In 1944, 33 year old future Premier Joh Bjelke-Petersen started his brief media career here. Now known as "Heart 10-71", with studios in Toowoomba, and a relay transmitter at Tarong.
15 Feb 1939 - 4AT - Atherton
Atherton Tablelands. First planned to operate as 4AF (Atherton Farmers). Their slogans were "Towering over North Queensland" and "The Voice of the Tablelands". Closed by the military during WWII on 8 Jan 1941 for broadcasting a security breach when owned by the Jehovah's Witnesses. Reopened as an A.B.C. station on 27 Jan 1941. This callsign was previously issued as an experimental station at Brisbane in 1927.
17 Oct 1939 - 4QS - Toowoomba
A.B.C., relaying 4QG with some local programs. Their equipment was supplied and installed by S.T.C. First planned to operate as 4QP. Their opening was from the Town Hall, with local artists and the A.B.C. orchestra, and was heard in Perth, New Guinea, and New Zealand. Officially opened by Governor Sir Leslie Wilson and the A.B.C. General Manager Charles Moses (later Sir Charles). Their studio was in the Eagers Building. A celebration dance was held at Dalby (near the transmitter). Their transmitter technician wore a revolver during WWII in case of enemy attack. Often relayed shortwave stations VLM and VLQ during landline failures. Now has a relay transmitter at Stanthorpe.
27 Jan 1941 - 4AT - Atherton
A.B.C. (see 4AT 15 Feb 1939). Relay of 4QN. Opened with the same tower, 500 watt transmitter (4,000 watts in 1973), and same callsign as the original commercial licensee. Their towers' earth mat radiated out for 796 feet. A cyclone cut their program line for 6 days from 5 Mar 1956. Programs were supplied from VLM and VLQ using a shortwave receiver.
3 Nov 1941 - 4GY - Gympie
A 4BK bid to obtain this licence failed. Started by Steve Fittell (4JO 1929), from Fittells Radio Service. Their opening broadcast was from the Olympia Theatre, with entertainment by local groups. Money raised went to "Liberty", aiding women whose husbands were at WWII. On air 0700-0900, 1200-1400, and 1800-2200 with three staff. Used 500 watts and a directional antenna (5,000 watts in 1973, with the transmitter being moved to Wolvi). During flooding in March 1955, they were the only method of local communication as all phone lines were cut. Opened new studios above the Bank of New South Wales, and a relay transmitter at Noosa in January 2005. Now known as "Classic Hits Radio". Stteve Fittell also established the Australian branch of the Far East Broadcasting Company, with 33 stations worldwide.
1 Jul 1946 - 9PA - Port Moresby
A.B.C. with a Philips 500 watt transmitter (see 4PM 25 Oct 1935, and 9PA 26 Feb 1944) installed by Vern Kenna (4QG/4QR). First manager was Basil Kirke from 6WF (also see 2BL Sydney 1 Mar 1924). Used a wire recorder in remote villages to record village choirs for later broadcast. Their record library held 5,000 records. Started a popular ex-pat women's session in 1954. Installed new studios in 1956 and again in 1963. Increased power to 2,000 watts in 1962. In 1973 the station was handed over to the Papua New Guinea Broadcasting Commission.
19 Mar 1947 - 4QL - Longreach
A.B.C. Relay of 4QG using a 200 watt transmitter at the Post Office. They had some local programs, including news, from 1952 with a studio in the Town Hall. Increased power to 10,000 watts with a new transmitter at Cramsie in December 1954, incorrectly believing that all Western Queensland would be covered. Moved into a new building in 1964. In the 1980's, a satellite service was added to cover remote locations. This callsign was previously issued as an experimental broadcasting station at Brisbane in the 1920s.
7 May 1947 - 4KQ - Brisbane
Owned by the Labor party. Opened at "Radio House" with A.W.A. equipment. News was first taken from the A.B.C., then from 4BK. Moved in 1961, then again in 1972, to "Radio City" at Breakfast Creek. Often broadcast concerts from the Botanical Gardens. Used a TV circuit to telecast their studio to some shop fronts. Used a barge to carry an outside broadcast van to Bribie Island. First to broadcast the Brisbane to Gladstone yacht race. Announcer Enid Elliott was blind. Had many night-time listeners on Bass Strait oil rigs. Sacked all their female announcers in 1950 (as did 4BC and 4BK). Started 24 hour broadcasts in 1959. Old-time dance broadcasts were still popular in the 1960s. Their Piper traffic aircraft once landed at Eagle Farm airport with no fuel, and blew a tyre. Promoted as "Always On the Air for Music" in the 1960s. Floods in 1974 isolated the station. Early Sunshine Coast Studio. Staff lived in for three days, with food delivered by listeners using a dinghy. Their transmitter was moved from Tingalpa to St. Helena Island in 1975 sharing a tower with 4IP. Changed to country music in 1979 with the slogan "Best Country in the World". The A.L.P. tried unsuccessfully to sell the station in March 1983 for $6 million to raise some election funding. Bought by Wesgo for $16 million in 1986, and launched a "Greatest Memories-Latest Hits" format. Won a second round bid to convert to F.M. in 1990, but then they couldn't afford it (first won by 4BH, who also couldn't afford it). Their news slogan was "When you hear it, it's news - when you read it, it's history". Bought 4BH for $12,000,000 in 1998. Later sold to the Australian Provincial Newspapers which was the start of the Australian Radio Network. Then became part of the Pure Gold Network with WSFM in Sydney, Gold 104.3 in Melbourne, and Cruise 1323 in Adelaide.
14 Jan 1948 - 4QB - Maryborough
A.B.C. Relay of 4QG. Transmitter at Pialba. Started limited local programs on 20 Nov 1950 from a studio in the School of Arts building. Opened a local A.B.C. newsroom in 1952. Opened relay transmitters at Gympie in 1954 and Eidsvold in 1965. On 8 Nov 1965 a new transmitter was installed, with their old one being refurbished and eventually sent to Christmas Island. Their studios were moved to Bundaberg in 1990.
20 Jan 1950 - 4QY - Cairns
A.B.C., relaying 4QG with some local programs from 4 Oct 1952 with two staff. The official opening function from the Council Chambers featured recorded messages from the Post Master General, the Hon. Hubert Anthony, and A.B.C. Chairman, Richard Boyer. Local artists then performed live. Their establishment cost was £28,000. Their 2,000 watt transmitter was near Gordonvale. Reporter David Houson and sports editor Dick Chant both worked at the station from 1973 to 2000, with Dick being awarded an Order of Australia medal for broadcasting. Changed their format from classical to modern music as a local A.B.C. station in the early 1980s. Moved into new studios in 1995. Now has 13 A.M. and F.M. relay transmitters, including Thursday Island.
18 Jan 1951 - 4QA - Mackay
A.B.C. Relay of 4QG with some local programs from 1955, using a studio above the Chandlers electrical store. Their official opening was a concert featuring local artists broadcast from the Masonic Hall. Organised four concerts per year with the Queensland Symphony Orchestra until the 1980s. One announcer kept broadcasting when the studio was full of smoke from a fire downstairs. Commenced 24 hour broadcasting in 1987. Moved into new studios in 1995. Now has relay transmitters at Moranbah, Airlie Beach, and Dysart.
17 Aug 1951 - 4GM - Gympie
A.B.C. Relay of 4QB with 200 watts. The official opening was from the Gympie Town Hall with a recorded message from the Post Master General. Entertainment was provided by local artists. Whenever program lines failed, a standby receiver tuned to 4QS was used as a program source.
11 Oct 1952 - 4SO - Southport
A.B.C. Relay of 4QG.
1957 - 4AY - Townsville
See 4AY Ayr 1 Oct 1934. Opened 4GC Charters Towers as a relay outlet on 13 Dec 1976. Sold to TNQ-7 TV in 1977, with the 4AY Chairman, Jack Gleeson, appointed as Chairman of TNQ-7 TV. Also see 4AY Innisfail 1991. Changed to 4RR (Reef Radio), with Macquarie Radio in 1981.
11 Jul 1960 - 4MI - Mount Isa
A.B.C. Relay of 4QN. Their official opening was broadcast from Henderson Hall. Occasional program landline failures between Townsville and Mt. Isa required the use of a shortwave receiver tuned to VLQ and VLM in order to stay on air. Opened a relay transmitter at Julia Creek in 1973. Commenced limited local programs in 1986. Their local manager and breakfast announcer, Chris Welch, then contacted Head Office in Sydney to arrange some publicity. He was politely informed that the A.B.C. wasn't even in Mount Isa.
15 May 1961 - 4LM - Mount Isa
Their preferred callsign, 4MI, had been given to the A.B.C. Nine miles of copper wire were buried around their tower as a ground plane. First broadcast was an official dinner from the Hilton Hall using 200 watts. On air 0630-1400 and 1800-2200 daily. (Commercial production was conducted in the studio while off air each afternoon). On 6 Feb 1965 their manager, Ian Elstob, was attacked by three intruders. Installed new studios and offices in 1973. Opened a Cloncurry relay transmitter in 1984.
15 Dec 1962 - 9RB - Rabaul (T.P.N.G.)
A.B.C. Relay of 9PA, with some local programs in the Kuanua dialect.
9 Oct 1964 - 4NA - Nambour
4BH failed to win the licence. Their licence was granted in February. Their first two managers were Ralph Taylor and Pat Maher from 4AY. Their opening broadcast from the Nambour Civic Hall, was officially opened by the Postmaster General, Alan Hulme. Paid a first year dividend. Installed new studios on 11 Feb 1973. On 8 Jul 1973 Pat Maher used a boat to take a microphone and record player to the transmitter, as floods had cut the cable from their studio. Power increased to 5,000 watts in 1976. Bought by 7LA in 1983. Changed their callsign to 4SS (Sunshine Coast) in 1984. Became Mix FM in 1994. Their 828 kHz A.M. frequency later became an A.B.C. "News Radio" outlet.
29 Nov 1965 - 4QO - Eidsvold
A.B.C. Later became a synchronous transmission on the same frequency as 4QD.
4 Feb 1966 - 4QD - Emerald
A.B.C. Originally a synchronous transmission on the same frequency as 4QO.
7 Apr 1966 - 4QW - St. George
A.B.C. Relay of 4QS. Their opening only consisted of pre-recorded messages.
15 Sep 1967 - 4AM - Mareeba
Atherton-Mareeba district. Started by manager Frank Bellet from 4KQ. The original studios were in Yungaburra, with a relay studio in Atherton. Made a 6% profit in their first year. Moved to Mareeba in 1972. Opened a 2,000 watt relay transmitter at Port Douglas in 1991 and later a relay transmitter at Weipa (now closed) and Ravenshoe. Their original equipment was kept on display in 2007 for their 40th anniversary. Their slogan was "You have to get up early to beat 4AM". Often received in Japan and the USA West coast. A QSL (reception confirmation) card was sent by breakfast announcer Andrew Talbot to a Netherlands listener reading in part "The transmitter you were listening to is located between Mossman and Port Douglas. Program is fed via a landline which runs through a mangrove swamp. Occasionally the program is cut when a crab severs the line. The mangrove swamp is also home to a saltwater crocodile so our engineer cringes whenever we go off the air".
30 Sep 1967 - 4KZ - Innisfail
Their callsign is a corruption of the name of the nearby town Cairns (Kairnz). One of only three Australian stations to use three towers for their directional antenna. Opened a relay transmitter in Tully in 1985. Purchased by 8HA in 1987. Their "Sunday Gold" 1940s-1970s program started by manager Al Kirkton has been very popular since 1987. Now locally owned, using 10,000 watts with nine A.M. and F.M. relay transmitters at Cardwell, Murray Falls, Mission Beach, Hinchbrook, Babinda, Innisfail, Karumba, Taylors Beach, and also Tully. The Army helped re-erect their towers which were demolished by a cyclone on 20 Mar 2006.
30 Sep 1967 - 4GG - Gold Coast
First planned to operate as 4GC (Gold Coast Radio). A power failure was fixed 30 seconds before their opening. A group which missed out on the licence established a pirate radio station to protest the decision, but never went to air. Investments were fully paid within three years as dividends. Early guests included Tom Jones, Liberace, Bob Hope, Phyllis Diller, and Robert Goulet. In 1969/1970 their female employees had a uniform which included red pantsuits. In 1981 a television production studio in their building was planned for a QTQ-9 TV cooking program which never eventuated. Became 4GGGFM in 1989. Their callsign was first issued as an experimental broadcast station at Chinchilla in 1929. Daryl Eastlake 3 Jul 1974 Rod Price 4GG Radio Car Bill Haley/Tony Schmidt
17 Aug 1970 - 4CD - Gladstone
Started and managed by Frank Bellet (see 4AM 15 Sep 1967). Made a profit in their first year, and paid a dividend of 6%. After six years, the dividend was 33%. Later they opened a relay transmitter at Rockhampton with a change of callsign to 4CC (Central Coast of Queensland). Bought by Prime TV in 2005.
14 Aug 1971 - 9GR - Goroka (T.P.N.G.)
A.B.C. Relay of 9PA using a 2,000 watt transmitter.
14 Aug 1971 - 9LA - Lae (T.P.N.G.)
A.B.C. Relay of 9PA using a 2,000 watt transmitter.
14 Aug 1971 - 9MD - Madang (T.P.N.G.)
A.B.C. Relay of 9PA using a 2,000 watt transmitter.
1 Oct 1971 - 4HU - Hughenden
A.B.C. Relay of 4QN. Their transmitter was turned on and off by an alarm clock.
26 Feb 1973 - 4MS - Port Douglas
A.B.C. Relay of 4QY. Transmitter at Mossman.
Jul 1973 - 4JK - Julia Creek
A.B.C. Relay of 4MI. Used two towers 640 feet high and 432 feet apart.
30 Nov 1973 - 9WK - Wewak (T.P.N.G.)
A.B.C. Relay of 9PA using a 2,000 watt transmitter.
Feb 1974 - 4ZZ - Brisbane
Community station specialising in alternative music. Became 4ZZZFM in 1975.
1 Jul 1975 - 4WP - Weipa
A.B.C. Relay of 4QY.
13 Dec 1976 - 4GC - Charters Towers
Opened as a relay station being owned by 4AY. See 4AY Ayr 1 Oct 1934. Sold to TNQ-7 TV in 1977. Now has a relay transmitter at Hughenden. This callsign was previously issued as an experimental station at Maryborough in 1925.
18 Jun 1979 - 4TI - Thursday Island
A.B.C. Originally, programs came from the A.B.C. in Cairns to Bamaga via an open landline, then a U.H.F. radio link to the Thursday Island telephone exchange, then a coaxial cable to the transmitter at Rocky Point. A TEAC 10 inch tape recorder with pre-recorded programs was provided with a turntable and microphone for program line failures during the wet season. In 1985 a studio was installed for some local programs by the Torres Strait Islanders Media Association. The station now receives their main signal via satellite.
1 Dec 1979 - 4EB - Brisbane
Ethnic Broadcaster. Community station specialising in ethnic programs. Started with 20 languages from a studio above a West End Greek bakery. Moved into their own building at Kangaroo Point in 1988. Became 4EB FM on 1 Dec 2001 with programs in 50 languages.
30 Nov 1981 - 4HI - Emerald
Heart of the Inland. Started by Sir William Allen and Sir Frank Moore. Their first announcer was Michael J. Bailey. Sold to Ray Rumble (4LG) in June 1988. Now has relay transmitters at Dysart, Moranbah, Blair Athol, Blackwater, Eaglefield, Burton Gorge, Goonyella, Saraji, Clermont, Curragh, and Peak Downs.
4CC - Rockhampton
See 4CD Gladstone. Central Coast, relaying to Gladstone, Biloela, Agnes Waters, and Mt. Murchison. This callsign was previously issued to a Brisbane experimental station in 1922.
5 Jun 1982 - 4CH - Charleville
A.B.C. Relay of 4QL using a 10,000 watt transmitter. There was no official launch or opening of this service. This callsign was originally issued on 28 Aug 1930 as a commercial licence in Charleville, which never went to air. Now has a relay transmitter at Cunnamulla. Also see 4CH Brisbane 13 Apr 1925.
29 Dec 1982 - 4SJ - Ipswich
Temporary station established for the Scout Jamboree. Operated by scouts from 0600-2200 until 7 Jan 1983. All the studio equipment was loaned and installed by 4KQ. Their tower and 50 watt 1610 kHz transmitter were installed by Telecom. They also operated an amateur station (VK4ASJ) and a television station (SJQ-4 TV), and produced a daily newsletter.
1984 - 4SS - Nambour
Sunshine Coast. Owned by 7LA. (See 4NA Nambour 9 Oct 1964.) Became MIX FM in 1994. This callsign was earlier issued in Brisbane on 13 Apr 1925.
198? - 4CA - Cooktown
Temporary station on air for the Cooktown annual Festival during the 1980s with a 10 watt transmitter on loan from 4CA. All programming, music, and Festival information were presented by local school children.
1990 - 4PB - Brisbane
A.B.C. Parliamentary Broadcasting network, using the old 4NA 828 kHz A.M. frequency. Broadcast Muzak style music between daily Parliamentary sittings. Closed on non-sitting days, until starting a news service called "A.B.C. News Radio" in August 1994. Now has 11 relay outlets around Queensland.
24 Sep 1990 - 4RPH - Brisbane
Radio for the Print Handicapped. They opened on 1296 kHz A.M. with the old 4BK 5,000 watt transmitter after they had moved to F.M. Previously, they were using a temporary licence for a few hours weekly outside the then broadcast band on 1620 kHz
1991 - 4RR - Townsville
Reef Radio. See 4AY Townsville 1957. Later moved to F.M. with a relay transmitter at Charleville. Their A.M. frequency went to the T.A.B. as a relay of 4TAB.
1991 - 4AY - Innisfail
When 4AY Townsville (which was originally at Ayr), decided to change their callsign to 4RR in 1991, 4KZ Innisfail took over the well-known 4AY callsign for their second A.M. service.
29 Jul 1998 - 4MW - Thursday Island
Community station using mainly Torres Straight Island languages/dialects.
26 Feb 1999 - 4EL - Cairns
Easy Listening. Opened on the former 4CA 846 kHz A.M. frequency when 4CA moved to F.M. Now has a relay transmitter at Gordonvale. Also see 4EL Brisbane 1933.
1999 - 4AA - Mackay
See 4MK 12 Jan 1931. Opened on the former 4MK A.M. frequency after 4MK moved to F.M. Known as "Easy Mix Radio". Now has a relay transmitter at Airlie Beach.
2003 - 4BI - Brisbane
Community station known as Brisbane Youth Radio. Operated under several temporary licenses from 1998.
Letters to the Editor
"4BK is our best station now, so please don't spoil it by making every second record a jazz number". Letter to the Editor, 12 Sep 1934.
"Not only is it to be found in the living room, it invades the bedroom. Not content with having it in the house, some people have it in the garden, disturbing their neighbour's peace. Where do we now find a family spending a quiet evening reading together? That sort of thing belongs in the past".
Courier Mail Letter to the Editor from Rev. J.A. Patton 8 Jan 1938 complaining about the opening of 4QR.
"When I hear some of these broadcasting women gurgling out advertisements or talks to housewives, I say 'yes, there is no doubt about it – a woman's place is in the Home". Letter to the Editor 1 Feb 1947.
"There is no doubt that wireless will be, if it isn't now, the greatest attraction ever known. Recently we were listening-in and had been treated to a flute solo, and were listening most intently for the next item. It was to be an orchestral performance. We all held our breaths. We could almost imagine them stringing up. Then what did we hear? "Hot Pies, Hot Pies!". Groans. What's the use of a Government if it cannot prevent hot pies being sold while we are listening-in"? Courier Mail Letter to the Editor from H.S. in 1926 complaining about advertising on 4QG, owned by the Government.
"I am sure if a referendum were taken, 99 percent of the listeners would object to the bombardment of advertisements on B class stations. I would suggest that the B class stations provide more music and less advertisements". Letter to the Editor, 9 May 1933.
"Is it necessary that I should be bombarded in my home by radio statements, interviews, playbacks, actuality recordings, and all the rest of square dancing paraphernalia? 'Turn off my radio' say my friends, but as radio is something for which I pay a licence fee, should I be denied its service? It is time that this imported craze should be controlled – at least so far as it affects the ear and the mind of the listener who does not live in square dancing circles". Letter to the Editor, 28 May 1953.
"I am a constant listener to 4QG and I write to say that with one exception, your programmes are really excellent, and the standard of music etc. could not be improved upon. The exception I refer to is the news items; murder, suicides, accidental deaths etc., with all the harrowing details. These make up the major portion of news on 4QG and are surely not necessary". Letter to the Editor, QRN, from Napier, New Zealand.
"Crooning items are inane and most distasteful to my family. We switch over to another station whenever a crooning item is given". Letter to the Editor, 12 Sep 1934.
"Since 4RO increased its transmitter power, it has been impossible to tune to 4RK without hearing 4RO clearly in the background". Letter to the Editor, 2 May 1954.
"I work among the rattle of drive shafting and scores of machines, mingled with hammering of all sorts, 'toned down' with the 'soothing' notes of several pneumatic riveters. When I go out to lunch, what do I get on the radio at the restaurant? One day it was the laying of a foundation stone I will never see, for a library whose books I will never read, and I hope the books will be more interesting than the speeches. Next day a gentleman was speaking who said 'I am no public speaker', a quite unnecessary piece of information. Some sufferer gets up from his meal, twists the dial a bit, and we get 'Good morning Mrs. Jones, thanks so much for your letter, but I am afraid that either your roasting tin is too small or the joint too large: In any case a shoehorn is very handy. I am glad your operation was successful. I will send you the pattern of that hemstitching that I promised'. Then a female voice tells me all the news I have read while she was finishing her beauty sleep. Most women sound nice singing, but they're awful talking. May I point out that noon is lunchtime and the best relaxation hot and hungry workers can have at this limited time is bright music, which is good for the nerves and makes a nice lunch nicer. In conclusion, may I say that I have listened-in regularly to a variety of programmes. However, I will not purchase a radio until we are given brighter and better entertainment". Letter to the Editor, 6 Dec 1934. Display of 1920s receivers in Brisbane