History of Islam/Modern period/Recent history
1979 was a critical year in the Muslim world's relationship with the rest of the world. In that year, Egypt made peace with Israel, the government of Iran was overthrown in the Iranian Revolution, and the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan began.
Some of the events pivotal in the Muslim world's relationship with the outside world in the post-Soviet era were:
- The Iran-Iraq War
- The 1991 Persian Gulf War
- The 2001 invasion of Afghanistan
- The 2003 invasion of Iraq
- The Humanitarian response to the 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake
- The 2005 Prophet Muhammad cartoons controversy
- The 2006 controversy over remarks quoted by Pope Benedict XVI
- The ongoing Darfur conflict
- The ongoing standoff with Iran over its Nuclear program
- The ongoing Terrorism and Indian military actions against Kashmiri people
- The ongoing Second Chechen War
The U.S.-led war on terrorism has been criticized as a war on Islam by majority Muslim countries.