HKDSE Geography/E2/Impacts of Sandstorms
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Impacts on Primary Industries
- Fields are buried. Sand and dust block out sunlight and discourage photosynthesis. Crop failure may occur.
- Farming infrastructure and facilities, such as irrigation canals, are damaged by sandstorms. They take months to resume activity.
- Winds blow away topsoil and crops. Nutrients in the topsoil and organic carbons are lost. Soil fertility is severely damaged.
Impacts on Secondary Industries
- Some factories may be closed down or even have their machinery damaged by sandstorms.
- Labour productivity decreases as people get sick.
Impacts on Tertiary Industries
- Flights are delayed. Rail services may be cancelled as well.
- Vehicles are damaged by the sand.
Impacts on Everyday Life
- Visibility decreases greatly.
- Buildings are eroded.
- Dust particles may carry viruses and fungi from the source area to spread diseases and cause outbreaks or even epidemics.
- Allergies are triggered. Respiratory diseases like asthma and cardiovascular diseases are also possible. Healthcare spending increases