General Engineering Introduction/Authors Editors
Focus on engineering science (CDIO), not engineering technology (ISTE). This course is best taught by someone who majored in engineering and worked at least 5 years in the field. Industrial art teachers should stick with Project Lead the Way's (PLTW) Engineering Design and Development (EDD) Capstone Class.
Provide a framework by which general engineering introductions can be assessed. Minimize content. Transition to open ended projects as soon as possible.
Self Paced Learning
Put Quizzes with answers in context with in the reading. Link to quizzes at wikiversity if necessary. Update this list of quizzes so that they can be summarized and moved into an LMS.
Link to other wiki pages within this text first, minimize outside links.
Look for content within Wikimedia space that already exists rather than re-create.
Books and web sites that informed this course are
- Engineering and the Mind's Eye by Eugene S. Ferguson
- Engineering Design .. a project-based introduction by Clive Dym and Patrick Little
- The Engineer Entrepreneur By Daniel T. Koenig
- Lateral Thinking ... creativity step by step .. by Edward de Bono
- Design engineering: a manual for enhanced creativity, Volume 10 W. Ernst Eder, Wolfgang Ernst Eder, Stanislav Hosnedl
- Engineering design: a systematic approach By Gerhard Pahl
- Fundamentals of Engineering Documentation and Communication by Earl J. Scribner
- Engineering Labour by Peter Meiksins and Chris Smith
- Critical Perspectives on Nonacademic Science and Engineering by Paul T. Durbin
- An Introduction to Engineering and Engineering Design by Edward V. Krick
- Practical Engineering Design By Maja Bystrom, Bruce Eisenstein
- Introduction to Engineering Design by Arvid Eide, Roland Jenison, Lane Mashaw, Larry Northrup
- Strategies for Creative Problem Solving by H. Scott Fogler and Seven E. LeBlanc
- Introductory Engineering Design: A Project Based Approach by Javier Abarca, Al Bedard, Denise Carlson, Larry Carlson, Jean Hertzberg, Bev Louie, Jana Milford, René Reitsma, Trudy Schwartz and Jackie Sullivan
- Adventures from the Technology Underground by William Gurstelle
- How to Fossilize Your Hamster by Mick O'Hare
ASEE Papers (there are lots of them)
NSF (freshman engineering)