Jump to navigation Jump to search
All listed software reads and writes GEDCOM files
- Software for multiple operating systems, including Windows.
- Geneweb A free, Libre program with a nice interface via your favorite web browser. It can be used off-line or in a Web environment. Allows easy entry of information and easily produces reports.
- Gramps is a free, Libre genealogy program that allows you to easily build and keep track of your family tree. Available for Linux, Mac OS X, FreeBSD, Solaris and Windows.
- Lifelines A free, Libre program which produces, reports and books from your existing GEDCOM file. There are many pre-made report formats, and you can also make your own. Requires some learning, and may not be optimal for data entry, since it would require you to directly edit your GEDCOM file.
- GenealogyJ (GenJ in short) is a free, Libre standalone Java application that can handle all of your genealogic information (GEDCOM compliant). It provides different graphical components for working on your Family Tree.
- Software for Linux and other Unixes
- Software for Macintosh
- GenerationX GenerationX is a genealogy tool for Mac OS X written entirely in Cocoa.
- Web-based software
- MediaWiki, the software that WikiBooks, Wikipedia, et al. use can be used very effectively for collaboration amongst distributed family members. It is a good platform for both original document storage and the cataloguing, explaining and linking of original research.