GarageBand/Recording in GarageBand
The next step is to learn how to make and edit both software instrument and real instrument recordings.
- 'Software instrument' recording means that a USB midi keyboard is used or the Musical typing function in GarageBand.
- Either plug in your USB keyboard or select "Window > Musical Typing" and a window will open showing which keys of the keyboard you can use to play with. Make sure you leave this window open or musical typing won't work.
- Start by creating a new track with the '+' button and the detailed information window will pop up.
- Make sure that the 'Software Instrument' tab is selected.
- In this menu you can select the primary instrument.
- In this menu you can select different types the primary instrument and its sound.
- Finish by clicking on 'Create'.
- Next you should make sure the 'Cursor' at the point that you want your recording to start.
- Then if you want GarageBand to count a measure before you start, so you have the rhythm select "Control > Count in".
- To actually record press the red "Record" button and play away. To stop recording press the button again.
- When finished recording the recording acts just like any other loop and can be repeated or trimmed. You can trim a loop by clicking and dragging the right bottom corner of the loop.
- When you want to record in an already existing track, select it before recording.
- When you have finished the project you can export it to your "iTunes" library by selecting "File > Export To iTunes.