Fijian/Alphabet and pronunciation
Fijian language uses the same Latin alphabet as English. Fijian pronunciation is not very difficult for the English speakers to learn. The Fijian vowels are pronounced as they are written. However, some consonants are pronounced differently from English:
- B is pronounced "mb" as in 'bamboo'.
- C is a lisped "th" as in 'feather'.
- D is pronounced "nd" as in 'Andrew'.
- Dr is pronounced "ndr" as in 'laundry'.
- G is pronounced "ng" as in 'sing'.
- Q is pronounced "ng" as in 'mango'.
- V is always pronounced bilabially.