English for B2 Students/Unit 4
If I had €1,000,000, I would live in Spain[edit | edit source]
Aim of this lesson: Recognize and use the different conditionals in English and revise means of transport.
Speaking Questions[edit | edit source]
Talk about these questions with a partner. Try to expand your answers and give reasons rather than short answers.
- Where did you go on your last holiday? How did you travel? Whom did you go with?
- What is your perfect holiday destination?
- Do you prefer beach holidays, city breaks, resorts or adventure holidays?
- Do you pack a lot of things or just the basics like clothes and money?
- What are the 5 most important tourist places in your country?
Grammar Focus - 1st, 2nd and 3rd conditionals[edit | edit source]
Conditional sentences are used to talk about possible situations and the result of those situations.
|1st conditional||if + present simple, will + infinitive||used to talk about possible situations||If it's sunny tomorrow, I'll go to the seaside.|
|2nd conditional||if + past simple, would + infinitive||used to talk about hypothetical situations||If I became rich, I would buy an expensive villa in France.|
|3rd conditional||if + past perfect, would + have + past participle||used to talk about hypothetical situations in the past||If I hadn't gone to Egypt, I wouldn't have seen the pyramids|
Vocabulary - Travel & Transport[edit | edit source]
Look at the table below. Do you know the correct definitions for these types of transport? Click on the text for the correct answers.
Speaking with conditional sentences[edit | edit source]
Work with a partner, if you can, and ask/answer these questions. If you're on your own you should think about these questions and write your answers instead.
- How long would it have taken you to get here if you had walked?
- How will you get to work if it rains tomorrow?
- If you were going to take a vacation, where would you go?
- If you could drive any car you wanted, what would it be?
- If you had gone to London on holiday last year, what would you have done?
Exercises[edit | edit source]
Try these questions to see if you can use 1st, 2nd and 3rd conditionals correctly. The answers can be found here.
Complete the following sentences using the correct conditional form:
- If I were very rich, I _______________ in 5 star hotels (stay).
- If I _______________ (go out) on Saturday, I will drink red wine.
- If I hadn't woken up this morning, I _______________ about conditionals (not learn).
- If I could choose any wife, I _______________ Shakira (choose).
- I _______________ (buy) a new DVD if I get paid this week.
Grammar Reference[edit | edit source]
For further information about conditional sentences see Tenses and Forms.