| A reader requests that the formatting and layout of this book be improved.
Good formatting makes a book easier to read and more interesting for readers. See Editing Wikitext for ideas, and WB:FB for examples of good books.
Please continue to edit this book and improve formatting, even after this message has been removed. See the discussion page for current progress.
- 1 Symptoms and presentations
- 2 Topics
- 2.1 Abdominal and gastrointestinal disorders
- 2.2 Cardiovascular disorders
- 2.3 Cutaneous disorders
- 2.4 Disaster medicine
- 2.5 Endocrine, metabolic and nutritional disorders
- 2.6 Environmental disorders
- 2.7 Head, ear, eye, nose and throat disorders
- 2.8 Hematologic disorders
- 2.9 Immune system disorders
- 2.10 Infectious disorders
- 2.11 Musculoskeletal disorders (non-traumatic)
- 2.12 Nervous system disorders
- 2.13 Obstetrics and gynecology
- 2.14 Renal and genitourinary disorders
- 2.15 Thoracic-respiratory disorders
- 2.16 Toxicologic disorders
- 2.17 Traumatic disorders
- 3 Tests
- 4 Treatment
- 5 Special populations
- 6 Practice and administration
- 7 Knowledge and communication
- 8 For Contributors
- 9 Please Read: Warnings and Disclaimers
Symptoms and presentations
Altered mental status, Anxiety, Apnea, Ataxia, Back pain, Bleeding, Coma, Confusion, Crying/Fussiness, Cyanosis, Decreased level of consciousness, Dehydration, Dizziness, Edema, Failure to thrive, Fatigue, Feeding problems, Fever, Hypotension, Jaundice, Joint pain/Swelling, Limp, Lymphadenopathy, Malaise, Multiple trauma, Needle stick, Pain, Paralysis, Paresthesia/Dysthesia,
Head and neck symptoms
Abnormal vaginal bleeding, Anuria, Ascites, Belching / GERD, Colic, Constipation, Cramps, Diarrhea, Dysmenorrhea, Dysuria, Hematemesis, Hematochezia, Hematuria, Nausea/Vomiting, Pain, Pelvic pain, Peritonitis, Rectal bleeding, Rectal pain, Urinary incontinence, Urinary retention,
Abdominal and gastrointestinal disorders
Arterial, Cardiopulmonary Arrest, Congenital Abnormalities of the Cardiovascular System, Diseases of the Myocardium, Acquired, Diseases of the Pericardium, Disorders of Circulation, Disturbances of Cardiac Rhythm, Endocarditis, Hypertensive Emergencies, Tumors, Valvular Disorders, Venous,
Endocrine, metabolic and nutritional disorders
Acid Base Disturbances, Adrenal Disease, Fluid and Electrolyte Disturbances, Glucose Metabolism, Nutritional Disorders, Parathyroid Disease, Pituitary Disorders, Thyroid Disorders, Tumors of Endocrine Glands,
Head, ear, eye, nose and throat disorders
Immune system disorders
Musculoskeletal disorders (non-traumatic)
Nervous system disorders
Cranial Nerve Disorders, Demyelinating Disorders, Headache, Hydrocephalus, Infections/Inflammatory Disorders, Movement Disorders, Neuromuscular Disorders, Other Conditions of the Brain, Seizure Disorders, Spinal Cord Compression, Stroke, Transient Cerebral Ischemia, Tumors,
Obstetrics and gynecology
Renal and genitourinary disorders
Acute Upper Airway Disorders, Disorders of Pleura, Mediastinum, and Chest Wall, Noncardiogenic Pulmonary Edema, Obstructive/Restrictive Lung Disease, Physical and Chemical Irritants/Insults, Pulmonary Embolism/Infarct, Pulmonary Infections, Tumors,
Acetaminophen, Amphetamines, Anesthetics, Antiarrhythmics, Anticholinergics/Cholinergics, Anticoagulants, Anticonvulsants, Antidepressants, Antihistamines and antiemetics, Antihypertensives, Antiparkinsonism drugs, Antipsychotics, Beta blockers, Bronchodilators, Calcium channel blockers, Carbon monoxide, Cardiovascular drugs, Caustic agents, Cocaine, Cyanides, hydrogen sulfide, Ethanol, Glycol, Hallucinogens, Heavy metals, Herbicides, insecticides, and, Hormones/Steroids, Household/Industrial chemicals, Hydrocarbons, Hypoglycemics/Insulin, Inhaled toxins,
Abdominal trauma, Burns, Chemical Burns, Chest trauma, Cutaneous injuries, Facial fractures, Genitourinary trauma, Head trauma, Injuries of the spine, Lower extremity bony trauma, Multi-system Trauma, Neck trauma, Ophthalmologic trauma, Otologic trauma, Pediatric fractures, Pelvic fracture, Soft-tissue extremity injuries, Spinal cord and nervous system trauma, Trauma, Trauma in Pregnancy, Upper extremity bony trauma,
Point of Care Testing
Practice and administration
Knowledge and communication
- Use one of these stencils as a model structure, whenever possible, to provide some uniformity in this textbook:
- The ABEM/ACEP Model of the Clinical Practice of Emergency Medicine guides creation of chapters and topics in this textbook, wherever possible.
- If any references are medical articles with Unique Identifiers, they may link out to the PubMed Abstract.
- For instance, a link to the PubMed article with Unique Identifier = 15635313 is created a PubMed Link - simply use the prefix 'PMID' and the PubMedId Number, for example:
- Respiratory Rate Measurement PMID 15635313
- The PubMed home page is here:
- If you are contributing for the first time, or if you are not familiar with the Wiki system, please read this:
- Miscellaneous pages:
Please Read: Warnings and Disclaimers
- Please read the Wikibooks General Disclaimer and Medical Disclaimer.
- Never post any material which contains Private Health Information (PHI). This is not only wrong, it will probably expose the person posting PHI to criminal sanctions and other professional repurcussions. Please alert a system administrator if you see anything you suspect to be PHI. If in doubt, report it or remove it.
- Plagiarism, breach of copyright, impersonation, and vandalism are not OK.
- Do not use this textbook as a guide to treating yourself or anyone else! Don't use it as a guide to any health decisions. Consult your doctor, don't make decisons using this book. The information in this textbook can not be trusted for making medical decisions.
- The information in this textbook can be edited by anyone, regardless of whether they are medically trained or not, regardless of whether they are providing good information or misleading information. The information in this textbook may be wrong! Using this information to make health decisions for yourself or anyone in your care may lead to death, disability, pain and suffering, or worse!
- The material in this textbook has not been checked for accuracy or safety
- This wikibook is intended to be a collaborative communication between physicians, nurses, physician assistants, paramedics, EMTs and other healthcare providers. It is not intended for the general public. It is under development and inevitably contains many errors and omissions.