Jump to navigation Jump to search
Lesson 4.8: Behavioral Emergencies
By the end of this lesson, the EMT-Basic should be able to:
- Define behavioral emergencies.
- Discuss the general factors that may cause an alteration in a patient's behavior.
- State the various reasons for psychological crises.
- Discuss the characteristics of an individual's behavior which suggest that the patient is at risk for suicide.
- Discuss special medical/legal considerations for managing behavioral emergencies.
- Discuss the special considerations for assessing a patient with behavioral problems.
- Discuss the general principles of an individual's behavior which suggests that they are at risk for violence.
- Discuss methods to calm behavioral emergency patients.
- Explain the rationale for learning how to modify your behavior toward the patient with a behavioral emergency.
- Demonstrate the assessment and emergency medical care of the patient experiencing a behavioral emergency.
- Demonstrate the various techniques to safely restrain a patient with a behavioral problem.