Descriptive Geometry/Mathematical Constructions/Right Triangle with a Specified Leg Length
Right Triangle with Specified Leg Length
Given: Triangle QRS, length ST
Find: Right triangle (STV) with same area as triangle QRS
1. Draw segment RT.
2. Draw segment parallel to RT through Q.
3. Extend side RS until it hits parallel segment.
4. Triangle STU is triangle with desired area.
5. To find right triangle with same area, draw SV so that it is perpendicular to base TS and also hits line QU.
6. Triangle STV is right triangle with desired area.