Jump to navigation Jump to search
A database based on relational algebra or relation model is called relation database
Relational data model[edit | edit source]
- a table in a relational database is called relation in the mathematical language of relational algebra. relations are unordered.
- column of a table in database table is called attributes. columns or attributes have names.
- set of permissible values for an attribute ( or column) is called domain.
- a row in the database table is called tuple in the mathematical language of relational algebra. order of tuples in a relation has no significance.
- a database is a collection of multiple relations.
- a database design is called schema, alternatively, a schema can refer to namespace within a database.
- cardinality of a relation
- number of tuples in a relation is called cardinality of the relation.
Normalization theory deals with design of relational database schema.
Keys[edit | edit source]
- any subset of a relation is called key.
- super key
- a key is called super key if it is sufficient to identify a unique tuple of a relation.
- candidate key
- a minimal super key is called candidate key i.e. no proper subset of a candidate key is super key.
- primary key
- a candidate key chosen as a principal to identify a unique tuple of a relation.It Restrict User Inputs like "Null Values" , "Duplicate Values" etc.
- foreign key
- a key of a relation which is a primary key of some other relation in the relational schema.