Wonton wrappers are thin pasta-like wrappers used for wontons. They are suitable for wonton soup. Oversize (7" square) (45cm square) wrappers may be used as egg roll wrappers. Round wrappers are best for making potstickers.
Most people will prefer to buy wrappers ready-made. This is especially easy for wontons, because egg roll wrappers may be cut in quarters to make wonton wrappers. Look in a supermarket near the tofu and Asian mushrooms.
For the stubbornly determined expert cook though, here you go:
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Sift flour and salt into a large bowl; create a well-like indentation in the center.
- Beat egg lightly, pour into indentation in the flour and mix well.
- Sprinkle with cold water, wet your hands and knead the mixture into a smooth dough.
- Place dough in a bowl and cover with a damp cloth, refrigerate for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Sprinkle a wide work area or board with flour. Roll out the dough until it is paper thin and its edges are even in thickness. The wonton skins will be partially transparent.
- Cut dough in 2 to 3 inch (5 - 7.5 cm) strips, flour lightly then stack one on top of the other and cut the strips into 2 to 3 inch (5 - 7.5 cm) squares.
- Place skins on tray and cover with a damp cloth until ready to use.