Cookbook:White House Honey Porter
White House Honey Porter is the much-anticipated recipe to White House beer.
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 2 (3.3) lb. cans light unhopped malt extract
- ¾ lb Munich Malt (cracked)
- 1 lb crystal 20 malt (cracked)
- 6 oz black malt (cracked)
- 3 oz chocolate malt (cracked)
- 1 lb White House Honey
- 10 HBUs bittering hops
- ½ oz Hallertaur Aroma hops
- 1 pkg Nottingham dry yeast
- ¾ cup corn sugar for bottling
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- In a 6 qt pot, add grains to 2.25 qts of 168˚F water. Mix well to bring temp down to 155˚F. Steep on stovetop at 155˚F for 45 minutes. Meanwhile, bring 2 gallons of water to 165˚F in a 12 qt pot. Place strainer over, then pour and spoon all the grains and liquid in. Rinse with 2 gallons of 165˚F water. Let liquid drain through. Discard the grains and bring the liquid to a boil. Set aside.
- Add the 2 cans of malt extract and honey into the pot. Stir well.
- Boil for an hour. Add half of the bittering hops at the 15 minute mark, the other half at 30 minute mark, then the aroma hops at the 60 minute mark.
- Set aside and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Place 2 gallons of chilled water into the primary fermenter and add the hot wort into it. Top with more water to total 5 gallons if necessary. Place into an ice bath to cool down to 70-80˚F.
- Activate dry yeast in 1 cup of sterilized water at 75-90˚F for fifteen minutes. Pitch yeast into the fermenter. Fill airlock halfway with water. Ferment at room temp (64-68˚F) for 3-4 days.
- Siphon over to a secondary glass fermenter for another 4-7 days.
- To bottle, make a priming syrup on the stove with 1 cup sterile water and ¾ cup priming sugar, bring to a boil for five minutes. Pour the mixture into an empty bottling bucket. Siphon the beer from the fermenter over it. Distribute priming sugar evenly. Siphon into bottles and cap. Let sit for 1-2 weeks at 75˚F.
Source[edit | edit source]
| This work has been (or is hereby) released into the public domain by The White House. This applies worldwide.
In case this is not legally possible, The White House grants anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.
Public domain Public domain