Upma or uppittu as it is referred to in Karnataka is a wholesome Indian dish made of rava (cream of wheat). There are many ways it is prepared but typically includes a healthy amount of vegetables added during preparation. The rava used for this must be the large-grained, as upma prepared with fine rava tends to become soggy.
Ingredients:[edit | edit source]
- 4 tbsp oil
- 1 cup upma rava (common in India and also found in Indian stores in other countries)
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp finely-chopped ginger
- 1 tsp finely-chopped garlic
- 1 medium-sized onion, finely chopped (more onions may also be added to give extra flavour)
- 1 medium-sized tomato, chopped
- 4–5 finely-chopped green chilli peppers
- Salt (to taste)
- 2 cups water
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
Procedure:[edit | edit source]
- In a wok or other suitable pan heat 1 tbsp of oil. When the oil is hot add the rava, and stir it with a spoon until it starts browning. The main purpose of this is to coat the rava grains with the oil so that they don’t stick. Be sure not to burn the rava or you will have to restart. Keep the rava aside, and let it cool.
- In the same wok or another suitable pan, heat the remaining oil. When hot, add the mustard seeds and wait until the seeds start crackling. When the crackling starts tapering off, add the onions and fry until golden brown. Then, add the ginger and the garlic, and stir for a few seconds. Add the remaining vegetables and the water. Add enough salt such that when tasted it is slightly saltier than required. Turn the heat to medium and let it simmer until the vegetables are cooked but still crispy.
- Turn the heat to low, and start adding the rava to the water. This is the most important step that determines the correct consistency of the upma. The rava must be added as quickly as possible while continuously stirring the contents ensuring no lumps are formed. When the rava is thoroughly mixed, cover the vessel and let it cook for a few minutes, stirring the contents every 20 seconds or so.
- Turn the heat off, add the lemon juice, and mix it well.
- Eat with a variety of sides like chutney, sugar, pickles, etc.