Jump to navigation Jump to search
Tomato Concassé (French tomates concassées) is skinned, de-seeded, and diced tomato.
- Boil a large pot of water and prepare a large bowl with ice water for refreshing the tomatoes.
- Remove the stem and core of the tomatoes by cutting a cone shaped piece out of the stem-end of each tomato. Then score a large X (arms about 1 inch (2.5cm) long) centered on the other end of the tomato.
- Place the tomatoes in the boiling water for about 30-45 seconds then immediately refresh in the ice water bath.
- Once cool, peel the skin off the tomatoes. Then slice the tomatoes in half around the circumference, not through the stem. Squeeze out the juice and seeds, scraping with a spoon.
- Lay the tomato carcasses flat on a cutting board and dice into ⅜ inch (0.75cm) pieces.
- Mastering the Art of French Cooking. by Julia Child et al.
- If you don't care that much, you can skip the skinning and seeding part and just chop the tomatoes into ⅜-inch pieces, but that's not really tomato concassé, just diced tomatoes.