Cookbook:Thong Yib (Thai Candied Egg Yolks)
(Redirected from Cookbook:Thong Yib)Jump to navigation Jump to search
This sweet and juicy Thai dessert is served in auspicious ceremonies for blessings.
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 15 duck eggs
- 7 cups of sugar
- 6 cups of jasmine water
Procedure[edit | edit source]
In making Thong Yib, both hot and cooled syrup must be used.
Cool syrup[edit | edit source]
- Boil the water in a pan and pour 2 cups of sugar and 2 cups of pandanus water into it. Wait until sugar is all dissolved. For cooled syrup, pour the syrup into a container and wait for it to cool by itself.
Hot syrup[edit | edit source]
- Boil water in a pan and pour 5 cups of sugar and 4 cups of pandanus water into it. Do not stir the sugar. Wait for it to naturally dissolve. Once the water is boiled and sugar is dissolved, put off the fire and pour the egg yolks.
- suggestion: while waiting for the sugar to completely dissolve, proceed to prepare the eggs for making Thong Yib.
Preparing the eggs[edit | edit source]
- Separate the egg yolks from egg white by using the white cloth.
- Whisk the egg yolks constantly for about 3-5 minutes. The more you whisk the egg yolks, the softer the egg. Too soft egg yolks will make it hard to crimp once the eggs are cooked.
- When the syrup is ready, use a spoon to pour the eggs into the syrup. The eggs will spread in circle. Ignite the fire again and keep flipping the egg yolks until it is completely cooked. Spoon the cooked eggs into the cooled syrup and later crimp it into flower-like shape of 3,4 or 5 pedals.
- Put the crimped eggs in small bowl and wait for it to cool down.
Thong Yib is now ready to be served!