Cookbook:Swedish Cabbage soup
Swedish Cabbage Soup (Kålsoppa)
The recipe is based on 1 kg of white cabbage. Servings: 4, Time: 45 minutes Since the cabbage heads usually do not yield exactly 1kg, scale the recipe as needed.
- 1kg of sliced cabbage
- 1 chopped yellow onion (optionally)
- pork stock
- salt, ground white pepper
- 12 whole allspice kernels
- butter for browning
- Quarter the head of cabbage. Remove the inner stem.
- Slice the cabbage across into 3 mm, or thinner, strips.
- In a cast-iron pot, melt some butter and brown the sliced cabbage.
- Add stock, covering the cabbage. Season with salt, grounded white pepper, and 12 whole allspice kernels.
- Boil the soup softly for 30-45 minutes.
- Serve with hard flatbread, butter, and cheese.
The cabbage stem can be used if the tough and hard outer part is removed, or chopped very finely.
Frying a chopped onion with the cabbage gives a more savory dish.