Cookbook:Swedish Cabbage Soup (Kålsoppa)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This recipe for Swedish Cabbage Soup (Kålsoppa) is based on 1 kg of white cabbage. Since the cabbage heads usually do not yield exactly 1kg, scale the recipe as needed.
|Swedish Cabbage Soup (Kålsoppa)|
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- Butter for browning
- 1 yellow onion (optional), chopped
- 1 kg of sliced cabbage
- Pork stock
- Ground white pepper
- 12 whole allspice kernels
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Quarter the head of cabbage. Remove the inner stem.
- Slice the cabbage across into 3 mm, or thinner, strips.
- In a cast-iron pot, melt some butter and add the onions. Cook until softened.
- Add the sliced cabbage, and cook until slightly browned.
- Add stock, covering the cabbage. Season with salt, white pepper, and 12 whole allspice kernels.
- Boil the soup gently for 30–45 minutes.
- Serve with hard flatbread, butter, and cheese.
Notes, tips, and variations[edit | edit source]
- The cabbage stem can be used if the tough and hard outer part is removed, or chopped very finely.
- Frying a chopped onion with the cabbage gives a more savory dish.