Succotash - A recipe with a great name.
- 2 quarts shelled lima beans
- 24 ears of corn cut off the cob
- 1 pound of pickled pork (typically omitted)
- 2 tablespoons sugar (can be omitted)
- 2 tablespoons butter (can be omitted or olive oil substituted)
If using pork, cover pork with water, and parboil it; add beans; then add corn, sugar, butter, and pepper to taste. After corn is added, watch carefully to keep from scorching. Serve.
Note that lima beans that have not been cooked should be thoroughly boiled for at least 10 minutes to rid the beans of phytohemagglutinin, a toxin found in uncooked lima beans. Canned beans are safe to eat without cooking.
Notes, tips, and variations
A red bell pepper (chopped) can be added.