Jump to navigation Jump to search
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 2 quarts shelled lima beans
- 24 ears of corn cut off the cob
- 1 pound of pickled pork (optional)
- 2 Tbsp sugar (optional)
- 2 Tbsp butter or olive oil (optional)
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- If using pork, cover pork with water, and parboil it.
- Add beans, then add corn, sugar, butter, and pepper to taste. After corn is added, watch carefully to keep from scorching.
Notes, tips, and variations[edit | edit source]
- A red bell pepper (chopped) can be added.
- Note that lima beans that have not been cooked should be thoroughly boiled for at least 10 minutes to rid the beans of phytohemagglutinin, a toxin found in uncooked lima beans. Canned beans are safe to eat without cooking.