Cookbook:Shrimp and Cassava Sauce of Brazil (Bobó de Camarao)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 3 lbs (1.2kg) medium size shrimp
- 3 lb (1.2kg) yuca root (cassava, manioc)
- 2 cups onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- ½ cup olive oil
- 6 medium tomatoes, peeled and seeded (or a large can of whole tomatoes)
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 cups coconut milk
- ¼ cup palm oil (also known as dendê)
- add salt and pepper to taste
Preparation[edit | edit source]
- Peel and cut the manioc and put in a pan with cold water and salt.
- Cook until tender, drain and reserve both the cooked manioc and the liquid.
- Discard any manioc fiber.
- Using a fork, mash the manioc while still hot. Use some of the liquid to help in the process. Do not use a blender or food processor.
- Peel and de-vein the shrimp.
- Sauté the onion and garlic in the olive oil until wilted.
- Add 1/2 of the chopped cilantro and the tomatoes, stirring well.
- Add the 2½ lb (1kg) (. shrimp and cook it (about 15 minutes).
- Add the puréed manioc.
- Check the amount of liquid and add more of the reserved manioc liquid to thin the mixture, if necessary.
- Add the coconut milk, the remaining cilantro and the palm oil.
- Check for salt and pepper.
- Serve over Brazilian white rice.