Jump to navigation Jump to search
A refreshing topping for carbohydrate and meat-style foods. The South American equivalent of salsa. Sarza Criolla goes well on toast, slabs of boiled potatoes, seafood, meat, rice, tamales, and quesadillas.
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 1 onion
- 1 lime
- chopped cilantro (optional)
- chopped boiled potatoes (optional)
- chopped boiled or pickled beets (optional)
- chopped (not mashed) avocado (optional)
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Cleave the onion from top to bottom, along the grain, then slice it fine across the grain, forming half-rings.
- Rinse in cold water, soak in cold water for around 5 minutes, and rinse again. This procedure washes away the contents of the plant cells destroyed by the knife, taking the sting out of the onion's flavor.
- Squeeze over it the juice of the lime.
- Optionally toss in the cilantro, potatoes, beets, or avocado.