Cookbook:Salza Criolla (South American Onion Relish)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
(Redirected from Cookbook:Sarza Criolla)
|Salza Criolla (South American Onion Relish)|
Sarza criolla is a refreshing topping for carbohydrate and meat-style foods. It is the South American equivalent of salsa, and it goes well on toast, slabs of boiled potatoes, seafood, meat, rice, tamales, and quesadillas.
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 1 onion
- 1 lime
- Chopped cilantro (optional)
- Chopped boiled potatoes (optional)
- Chopped boiled or pickled beets (optional)
- Chopped (not mashed) avocado (optional)
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Cleave the onion from top to bottom, along the grain, then slice it fine across the grain, forming half-rings.
- Rinse in cold water, soak in cold water for around 5 minutes, and rinse again. This procedure washes away the contents of the plant cells destroyed by the knife, taking the sting out of the onion's flavor.
- Squeeze over it the juice of the lime.
- Optionally toss in the cilantro, potatoes, beets, or avocado.