Cookbook:Rustic Beer Bread
This recipe makes dough for a 1.5kg loaf of bread. It is intended for a bread machine but can also be made by hand.
- 250ml room temperature (approx 21 °C) real ale (not lager)
- 3 Tbsp (45ml) sunflower oil
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) malt extract
- 1 Tsp (5ml) table salt
- 150g very strong white flour
- 150g country grain wholemeal flour
- 70g soft grain white flour
- 70g strong wholemeal flour
- 2 Tsp (5ml) easy bake yeast
Procedure - Bread Machine
- Add ingredients to a bread machine in the order listed, select appropriate white loaf setting (according to manufacturers instructions), and press start.
- Remove when cycle is complete. Cool and enjoy.
Procedure - Hand Baking
- Mix the ingredients above into a dough, and knead on an unfloured surface until an smooth elastic dough is formed.
- Put into a greased baking tin or on a greased baking tray, cover with a dry towel and rest for approximately 1 hour.
- Place into a preheated oven at 180°C and bake for 20-40 minutes (baking times will change depending on altitude.)
- Use 1.5 Tbsp (22.5ml) Demerara Sugar instead of Malt Extract if you can't get hold of any.
- Reduce each flour measurement by 10g and add 40g loose Polenta to add a different texture to the bread.
- Substitute bread flour for hard flour and/or pastry flour for soft flour.