Cookbook:Pinto Beans of Central Texas
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 1 lb (450g) dry pinto beans
- 8 cups water
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1 ham bone or a rough equivalent of salt bacon
- 1 or 2 bay leaves
- 5 cups water
- perhaps a very small amount (3 oz) (~90g) of that morning's coffee (beverage, as opposed to grounds, etc.) (optional and never to be confirmed or denied as being an ingredient if asked)
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Wash beans carefully and soak overnight in 8 cups of water.
- Drain and refill with 5 cups of water.
- Add all the other ingredients.
- Bring to a boil and simmer at least an hour, or until tender.
- Remove bay leaves.
- Do not drain prior to serving, the liquid is an important aspect of the dish.
- Can be served using slotted spoon, to allow draining, or with a ladle into small side-dish bowls
Yield: 10 servings
The beans and the liquid can be ladled on to dry, stored cornbread (which, otherwise, can be exceptionally dry for eating purposes). The combination is very traditional.