Pandora's Feast is a complete vegan meal that can be served several times a week due to the ease with which it can be modified. The meal is easy to prepare in a rice cooker.
also some or all of the following
- 1 cup black, pinto, kidney or other beans
- Thai sweet black rice
- 1 cup potato, cubed
- 1 cup sweet potato, cubed
- 1 cup squash, cubed
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 cup beet, cubed
- 1 cup kale, chopped
and for finishing touches
- olive oil, hemp oil, flaxseed oil, or other nutritious oil
- nutritional yeast
- soy sauce
- black sesame seeds
- Add the brown rice and water to the rice cooker. If you have "Thai sweet black rice" or "Chinese forbidden black rice", replace about 10% of your brown rice with this and your finished product will be a lovely purple and will have a different taste.
- The beans should either be pre-soaked for at least 8 hours and boiled briskly for 20 minutes (preferred) or from a can. Drain, rinse, and add these to the rice cooker. (It is important to soak and pre-cook dried beans. Dried kidney beans will cause nausea, vomiting and diarrhea unless they have been boiled briskly (the slow cooker will not do - it can even make things worse) for at least twenty minutes to destroy the very indigestible phytohaemagglutinin that they contain - they will then need another 60-90 minutes slow simmer to be tender. Tinned kidney beans are quite safe and do not need pre-cooking as their preparation involves sufficient heat to destroy the toxin.)
- If using, add the garlic to the cooker.
- If using, add the sweet potato, squash, beet or potato, chop into cubes 1cm x 1cm for optimal cooking.
- On a fuzzy logic cooker, set the cooker to the brown rice setting and turn it on. For an on/off cooker, turn it on.
- If using, chop the kale.
- In about 20–40 minutes, your cooker will complete cooking the rice. When the cooker is finished, open the lid, add the kale, and wait about another minute or two.
- Open and serve. Top with oil, yeast, soy sauce and/or sesame seeds, to taste.
Total prep time is about 3 minutes, cooking time 20–40 minutes. Serves 1