Jump to navigation Jump to search
Onion chutney is a delicious sweet-and-sour chutney used as a side dish for many South Indian snacks and breakfast items. It is one of the components used in masala dosa assembly.
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 2 tsp oil
- 2 tbsp channa dhal
- 2 medium-sized red onions, coarsely chopped
- 3 pieces of coconut, each 1x1 inch
- 1 tsp tamarind paste
- 4–6 dried red chili peppers
- Salt to taste
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- In a shallow pan, heat the oil. Add the chana dal, and stir until the dal is roasted.
- Add the onions, and stir fry them till they become transparent and the edges turn golden brown. Turn off the heat and let them cool for a few minutes.
- When cooled, blend together the onion mixture, coconut, chillies, tamarind, and salt until it makes a smooth paste. Add a few teaspoons of water if necessary.