Onion chutney is a delicious sweet-and-sour chutney used as a side dish for many South Indian snacks and breakfast items. It is one of the components used in Masala Dosa assembly.
- Onions (red onions preferred) - 2 medium sized, coarsely chopped
- Coconut - three one inch square pieces
- Channa dhal - 2 TBS
- Oil - 2 Tsp
- Tamarind - 1 Tsp
- dried red chili pepper - 4 to 6
- Salt - to taste
- In a shallow pan, heat the oil. Add the chana dal, stir till the dal is roasted.
- Add the onions, stir fry them till they become transparent and the edges turn golden brown. Turn off the heat and let them cool for a few minutes.
- When cooled, blend together the onions, coconut, chillies, tamarind, salt till it makes a smooth paste. Add a few teaspoons of water if necessary.