Cookbook:Mock Béarnaise Sauce
Mock Béarnaise Sauce
- 1 slice shallot or small onion, very finely minced, OR
- ¼ tsp. onion powder
- 1 tbs. fresh tarragon, minced, OR
- ½ tsp. dried tarragon
- 4 tbs. real mayonnaise
- 6 tbs. butter, softened
- Chop the shallot or onion slice very finely.
- Add the fresh tarragon and continue chopping until the tarragon is fairly fine, OR
- Put 2 tablespoons of water in a microwaveable measuring cup or small bowl.
- Stir in the dried tarragon, pepper and onion powder and microwave for about 6 seconds.
- Remove from microwave and set aside.
- Soften the butter in a microwave oven, stopping the oven every five seconds to mash and stir the butter until it is very soft but not liquid.
- In a small bowl or glass measuring cup, microwave the mayonnaise for 5 seconds.
- Remove from the microwave and beat in the butter a teaspoonful at a time.
- Add the tarragon and onion and stir in.
- Test the temperature and if it is not warm enough, heat it for 6 seconds at a time in the microwave, stirring each time. Do not overheat or it might separate; it should be warm not hot.
The same method may be used to make a mock hollandaise sauce, omitting the herbs and adding a teaspoonful of lemon juice.