Cookbook:Lentils and Rice (Mjeddrah)
(Redirected from Cookbook:Mjeddrah)Jump to navigation Jump to search
Mjeddrah is a stout lentil and rice stew, a Lebanese staple.
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- ½ cup brown lentils, soaked an hour or more
- ½ cup long grain brown rice, rinsed
- 3 cups water
- ½ cup onion, sliced
- ½ teaspoon whole or ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
Optional[edit | edit source]
- minced garlic
- dried chili pepper
- half a cinnamon stick
- a few cardamom pods
- chopped carrots, celery, etc. Not too much of this, I think, but a little is good.
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Pick over the lentils to remove any stones.
- Sauté the onion and any other vegetables in the olive oil for a minute or two. Optionally, sauté the rice for a short time but do not let it burn.
- Add the water and other ingredients, bring to a boil, and simmer, covered, for 40 minutes to an hour. You will have to check it occasionally and add water - the final product should have some liquid but should not be very soupy. It is finished when the rice and lentils are both no longer crunchy.