Cookbook:Maple Syrup Planked Salmon
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Maple Syrup Planked Salmon|
|Time||Forty-five minutes plus soaking plank|
Maple-Syrup Planked Salmon mixes the hint of sweetness from the maple syrup with the rich smoky flavour imparted from the cedar plank. Using organic ingredients enhances taste, health and the environment.
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 4 salmon steaks or individual fillets (preferably wild caught)
- 4 tbsp (60 ml) fresh lemon juice (2 for the marinade and 2 for the sauce)
- 2 tsp (10 ml) pure maple syrup
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) grapeseed oil (or other clean tasting and light-flavoured oil)
- 1½ tsp (7 g) chipotle powder (chipotle barbecue sauce may be substituted for this)
- 1 tsp (5 g) crushed dried rosemary
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced for garnish
Equipment[edit | edit source]
- Cedar plank(s) large enough to hold salmon without crowding (these must be untreated cedar planks with no preservatives or chemicals)
- Spray bottle for controlling flare-ups
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Completely immerse cedar planks in water for several hours or overnight.
- Heat barbecue to medium-high.
- Mix 2 tablespoons (30 ml) lemon juice, the oil, rosemary, maple syrup and half of the chipotle powder in a small bowl. Coat the salmon with the mixture and let rest at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- Mix the remaining lemon juice with the remaining chipotle powder with a fork and set aside as a garnish.
- Place plank(s) on grill and close lid. Allow plank to heat for a couple minutes.
- Lightly sprinkle salt on plank(s).
- Put Salmon on plank, keeping fish at least an inch from the edge of the plank (in the case of fillets, place skin-side down). Reduce heat to low and close lid.
- Grill for roughly 15 minutes until desired "doneness" reached without turning or moving Salmon. Generally, salmon should be cooked until the flesh loses its transparency and the meat can easily be broken with a fork.
- Spray water to douse any flames that light on the sides of the plank.
- When cooked, place the Salmon on a serving platter and sprinkle with the scallions.
- Immerse the cedar plank in water as a safety precaution.
- Serve the Salmon with the optional lemon juice/chipotle sauce.