Cookbook:Homestyle Fried Potatoes
Jump to navigation Jump to search
I got this idea from places like IHOP and Perkins, where they would have "Homestyle Fried Potatoes" on the menu.
- 1 pound Russet potatoes, cut into 2 inch chunks
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 quarts olive oil (not extra virgin)
- Sour cream (optional)
- Chopped chives (optional)
- Place potatoes into a container of very cold water. Let sit until potatoes, when rinsed, give off clear water.
- Heat oil in a deep-fryer or a large pot to 325 degrees F. Add potatoes in batches and cook, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender and only very slightly browned. Drain on a cooling rack in a newspaper lined sheet pan.
- Boost oil temperature to 375 degrees F. Add potatoes again, in batches, and cook until golden brown and crispy.
- Once all potatoes have been fried and drained on the rack, sprinkle them very liberally with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Toss to coat, then serve with sour cream and chopped chives, if desired.