Cookbook:Gyuvetch (Bulgarian Casserole) I
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Gyuvetch (Bulgarian Casserole) I|
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 900 g beef, cut in 4–5 cm (2 in) cubes
- Soy sauce
- 2 onions, cut in half, then in 5 mm (¼ in) slices
- 2 carrots, cut in half or quarters lengthwise, then in 5 mm (¼ in) slices
- 2 packs okra
- 3 eggplants, cut in 2 cm (1 in) round slices
- a few tomatoes, each cut in 3
- 1 kg (2 lbs) potatoes, peeled, quartered and cut in 7 mm (⅓ in) thick slices
- 12 small sweet red peppers, cut in 5 mm (¼ in) thick rings
- 2 hot green peppers
- Salad oil
- 1 bunch parsley, finely chopped
- Salt to taste
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Fry beef with salad oil in a skillet until lightly browned. Add enough water to cover the meat and cook until soft. Add soy sauce to taste.
- Sprinkle eggplants with salt and leave for a while to remove any bitterness. Quarter each slice after wiping off moisture.
- Sauté carrots, eggplants, potatoes, and okra in a skillet with salad oil. Add tomatoes with liquid. Mix in onions, adding small amount of water, and cook until vegetables become barely tender. Add red pepper and turn off the heat.
- Mix the meat with pan juice and vegetables and put in an earthenware pot (casserole). Top with hot green peppers, cover, and bake in a 200°C oven for about 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle with finely-chopped parsley and serve.