Gunkanmaki (battleship roll)
- Cut nori into strips 1 inch wide and long enough to surround the desired sushi rice piece with at least 1 inch of overlap.
- Form the sushi rice into oval pieces. A common size would be 1" wide, 1 1/4" inch long, and 1 inch high.
- Start with one end of the nori band and surround the rice piece. Wet the inside of the other end of the nori and press over the first end. The nori will stick together this way.
- Uni (sea urchin) roe (eggs): roll sushi rice in nori. Cut into serving sizes and stand up, add sea urchin roe on the top of each piece.
- Quail egg: Form a small nugget of sushi rice. The nugget should be approximately 1-1/4 inches long and 3/4 inches wide and 0.5 inches high (3.2 cm x 1.9 cm x 1.3 cm). Take a piece of nori and cut it into a strip approximately 1-1/4 inches wide (3.2 cm) and 4.5 inches long (11.5 cm). Roll the nugget in the nori. The nori should create a band around the circumference of the nugget. The band will be taller than the nugget and will thus form a cup-shape, where the nugget is the base of the cup and the nori is the sides of the cup. Fill one side of the cup with fish roe (orange fish eggs) and fill the other side of the cup with one quail egg. Serve and enjoy.