Cookbook:Fond blanc de boeuf
Fonds blanc de boeuf White Beef Stock
Fonds brun de boeuf Brown Beef Stock
- 3 lb. beef shin bones sawn into 2-inch lengths
- 3 lb. beef marrow bones, sawn into 2-inch lengths
- 2 lb. beef short ribs, sawn into 2-inch lengths
- 2 lb. veal shank, sawn into 2-inch lengths
- 1 lb. chicken carcasses
- ½ lb. onions, medium dice
- 2 leeks, including green part, trimmed and thoroughly washed to remove all sand
- 2 oz. carrots, scraped and cut into medium dice
- a bouquet garni of:
- 6 fresh parsley sprigs with stems
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs or ½ tsp. dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ tsp. whole black peppercorns
- 1 tsp. salt
- water to cover (about 1½ gallons)
Fond blanc - White stock
- Place all the meat and bones in a stock pot and cover with water to 2 inches above.
- Bring to a simmer over medium heat , skimming of foam and scum as it rises to the surface.
- Reduce the heat and simmer uncovered and undisturbed for 30 minutes. Do not let it boil.
- Skim if necessary and add the vegetables, bouquet garni and salt.
- Stir, partially cover and simmer for 6 to 8 hours.
- Using tongs or a spider remove the bones and discard.
- Strain the stock into another container and discard the vegetables.
- Now strain the stock back into the rinsed stock pot through a double layer of dampened cheesecloth.
- Set the pot in a sink of cold water to cool rapidly then put it into the refrigerator to chill.
- Remove from the refrigerator and lift the layer of solidified fat off and discard.
- Divide the stock into suitably sized portions and freeze.
Fond brun - Brown stock
- Brown the bones in the oven at 400ºF turning from time to time being careful not to burn them.
- Remove the bones form the oven and place them in the stock pot.
- Place the baking pan on the stove top and brown the onions and carrots in the pan adding some oil or fat if necessary. Add them to the stock pot.
- Deglaze the pan with some water and add to the stockpot.
- Continue as above.
- If not frozen, stock should be refrigerated in a covered container but must be used within 3 to 4 days or brought to the boil that often or it will sour.