Jump to navigation Jump to search
This is an Eurasian dish, not the campfire marshmallows S'more.
- 300g beef shank
- 3 onions
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 thumb-sized piece ginger
- 10-cm piece cinnamon
- 100g small carrots
- 3 potatoes
- 1 tomato
- 1 sprig coriander leaves
- 2 soda biscuits
- 300g marshmallows
- 1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tablespoons ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 4 tablespoons dark soya sauce
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 420ml water
- Wash and cut beef into 2.5 cm chunks.
- Drain in colander.
- Marinate with bicarbonate of soda, pepper, salt, sugar, vinegar and dark soya sauce.
- Leave for 30 minutes.
- Grind onions and garlic together.
- Slice and julienne ginger.
- Wash cinnamon.
- Peel carrots. Wash and cut diagonally. Soak in water.
- Peel potatoes. Wash and cut into quarters. Soak with carrots.
- Cut tomato into quarters.
- Remove leaves from coriander.
- Crush and grind soda biscuits.
- Heat oil in a pot. When hot, fry ground onion and garlic, shredded ginger and cinnamon till onions are brown and fragrant.
- Add marinated beef. Fry till meat changes color.
- Add water and simmer till meat is tender. Stir occasionally to prevent meat from sticking to pot. Add more water if gravy is too thick and season accordingly.
- Add carrots and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add potatoes and cook till soft.
- Add tomato and biscuit crumbs. If you like, you may add a tin of Spam luncheon meat, cut into thick slices or chicken franks at this step.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and marshmallows and serve.