Jump to navigation Jump to search
Split Pea Soup
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- green split peas
- bacon (streaky pork belly bacon, not the normal back bacon)
- Pork Belly slices (non smoked)
- Dutch smoked sausage (if not available any smoked sausage will do)
- 1 large carrot
- 1 leek
- 1 onion
- 1/2 celeriac
- 3 potatoes
- 2 Bayleafs
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Put the dried peas a day ahead in a bowl with water.
- Chop the carrot, potatoes, celeriac and onion in small squares, chop the leek in small rings.
- Chop the streaky pork belly bacon into small pieces
- Chop the Pork belly slices in small strips
- Slice the Dutch smoked sausage in small pieces
- Fry the Pork belly slices in a frying pan until golden brown (but not too crispy)
- Cook the peas in enough water for about 30 minutes and cook the bacon and the fried pork belly slices together with the vegetables, some salt and pepper, the bay leafs in another pan for about 45 minutes.
- Make sure to remove foam (from the boiling peas) from the pan with a spoon
- When the Erwtensoep is ready add the Dutch smoked sausage, boil it for another 15 minutes
- As a finishing touch add some fried dried onions