|Energy||81 Cal (339 kJ)|
|Serving Size:||1/4 of recipe (117 g)|
|Servings Per Recipe:||4|
|Amount per serving|
|Calories from fat||4.5|
|Total Fat||0.5 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Total Carbohydrates||18 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|
Eärgon Salsa is an easy-to-make low sodium hot sauce which complements fresh vegetables like broccoli, carrots, and celery very nicely. Easy variations using hotter peppers such as serannos and habaneros are given below.
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 4 jalapeño peppers, raw
- 4 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 4 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 12-ounce can of unsalted, canned tomato paste
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Slice peppers crosswise to form small rings, put in small container
- Add garlic
- Add vinegar
- Add tomato paste
Can be easily stored in a closed container in refrigerator for a week or ten days.
Notes, tips, and variations[edit | edit source]
- 4 seranno peppers can be substituted for the 4 jalapeños for a spicier sauce
- To try the habanero version, use 2 habanero peppers chopped finely and increase tomato paste from 12 oz to 18 oz. Be careful.
- Recipe is easy to customize. Some options include adding spinach, cilantro, black pepper, and chopped onions.
- The peppers, vinegar, and garlic can be combined beforehand and stored in an airtight container in the fridge for several days.
Nutrition[edit | edit source]
One 117 gram serving of the salsa has only 81 calories, total fat content of 0.5 g with no saturated fat or cholesterol. Also, distinguishing it from store-bought salsas, it contains 84 mg of sodium, less than 3% of the U.S. daily recommended allowance. An off-the-shelf brand might have 8% of a day's sodium in a 7-gram portion.
This salsa is a good source of vitamins and minerals. One serving provides 42% of a day's recommended Vitamin C, 28% of Vitamin A, 18% of Vitamin E, 14% of pyridoxine, 13% of niacin and vitamin K. In terms of minerals, it provides 25% of a day's potassium, 17% of manganese, 16% of copper, and 14% of iron. Additionally, one serving also has 4 grams of both dietary fiber and protein.
Warnings[edit | edit source]
Note: Be very careful not to touch your eyes, nose, or mouth after chopping or handling the chili peppers, the pain can be intense. Wash your hands thoroughly after handling.