(Redirected from Cookbook:Cullen skink)
A soup from Cullen in Morayshire using smoked haddock for a rich flavour.
- 1 large smoked haddock of around 2 lb ( If Smoked Haddock is unavailable, Smoked Kippers has been known to serve in its place. )
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine.
- 1 and a half pints (900ml) milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 oz mashed potato
- Salt and pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- Chopped parsley
- Toast as accompaniment when serving
- Cover the haddock with water in a shallow pan with skin side down.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes turning once.
- Take the fish from the pan and remove the skin and bones.
- Flake the fish and return to the stock.
- Add chopped onion, bay leaf, salt and pepper.
- Simmer for a further 10 minutes.
- Strain off the stock and keep it ready - discard the bay leaf and keep the fish warm.
- Add the milk to the fish stock and bring to the boil.
- Add mashed potato to make a rich and thick soup.
- Add the fish and check the seasoning - add more if needed.
- When serving, add the butter in small pieces so it runs through the soup.
- Serve with chopped parsley on top, and toast by the side.