Crème saint-honoré is a crème pâtissière with stiffly beaten egg whites folded into it and is used to fill profiteroles, éclairs and tarts, as well as on its own as a dessert cream. It can be additionally flavoured with liqueur, pralin, orange peel, etc.
Yield: 5 to 6 cups
- 1 pint crème pâtissière
- 8 egg whites
- a few drops lemon juice
- pinch of salt
- 2 Tbs. caster (superfine) sugar, OR granulated sugar
- Make the crème pâtissière according to the <<recipe here>>.
- Mix in any additional flavourings.
- Beat the egg whites with the salt until soft peaks form.
- Sprinkle the sugar onto the egg whites and continue beating to stiff peaks.
- Stir a quarter of the egg whites into the hot custard.
- Fold the rest of the egg whites in and chill before use.