A Chip Butty is a sandwich made of chips (French fries).
- Chips from a chip shop or home made
- Batch Loaf Bread or (according to preference) sliced white bread, or pitta bread for kebab-shop style
- Tomato Sauce (ketchup) or a brown sauce (optional)
- Make sure the chips are not too greasy and have been well drained.
- Take two slices of batch loaf (the heel works best) and butter both on one side, then apply ketchup and spread evenly over the bread.
- Next add chips in a manner akin to herringbone floor tiling, making sure to minimise any gaps. You can add multiple layers.
- Put both slices of bread together,then the important step - put the assembled sandwich on a flat surface and slap it hard several times with with an open hand to crush the filling. Eat immediately!