Cookbook:Cabbage and Bacon
From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
|Cabbage and Bacon|
|Energy||~65 calories per serving|
Cabbage and Bacon - A classic southern American comfort food. Super tasty, if not super healthy.
- 1 small to medium sized white cabbage, about 1 pound, sliced (remove the core)
- 8 slices of bacon, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- Heat your largest frying pan over medium and add your chopped bacon to the pan. Cook the bacon, stirring occasionally, until it has released some fat and it’s about halfway cooked.
- At this point, add in the onion and fry, stirring occasionally, until the onion has softened and the bacon is well cooked – between 5 and 10 minutes.
- Toss the minced garlic into the pan with the onions and the bacon and cook it, stirring, for about 20 seconds, and then immediately pile in all the sliced cabbage.
- Cook the cabbage, turning and stirring it occasionally until it has softened to your liking, about 15 minutes. Some people like the cabbage meltingly tender for this recipe, while I prefer a little bite to mine.
- Season with salt and freshly cracked black pepper. Make sure to salt this well - as this last step is a make-or-break moment to the success of this. Start with about 1/2 tsp and taste and salt more as necessary.
Notes, Tips, and Variations
- If you want it very soft, after adding the cabbage and about 10 minutes of uncovered cooking, turn the heat down to low, add a couple of spoonfuls of water to the pan and then cover. After about 20 minutes, the cabbage will be very tender.
- A little heat can also work well in this dish, so if you like spicy food, try adding ½ tsp 1 tsp of cayenne pepper to the dish with the salt and pepper.
- Although this will work very well in just about any kind of fry pan, the high sides and even heat of a heavy cast iron skillet make it just about perfect for the job.
- This recipe of was adapted from a recipe posted by John D Lee to HubPages.