Cookbook:Bulgarian fresh sausage (Kebapcheta)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 1 kg minced meat (60% pork + 40% beef; if meat is very lean modify to 75% pork + 25% beef or kepabcheta will be dry). Target about 30% fat, same like a US style burger.
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin (sometimes spelled "cummin"; botanical name: Cuminum Cyminum)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- salt to taste
- 2-3 spoons water
Note: Kebapche does not contain onion, which is found in another related recipe: Kyufte.
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Salt the meat, mix with spices and water well, cover, and let stand in the refrigerator for 1-2 days. This is the most important and tricky part of the recipe. The goal is to allow the meat to ferment. When the meat is well fermented, the cooked product looks puffed. Compare vs. a Walmart burger, which shrinks when cooked.
- Form into oblong rissoles (skinless sausages) by passing through a grinder with a funnel at the end and grill on medium-high heat.
- DO NOT flip more than once when grilling. flipping multiple times will produce a dry instead of juicy product.
- Serve hot with your choice of sides. They are best with golden French fries and cold beer.