Cookbook:Artichoke Dip with Parmesan
Artichoke hearts are readily available in cans and jars in many countries, and are increasingly used in the making of snack dips. Many national chain restaurants in the USA have some variety of artichoke dip, which is usually mayonnaise-based. One easy variation on the creamy artichoke dip is jokingly called the Artichoke Heart Attack, owing to the amount of mayonnaise and Parmesan cheese it contains.
As an "equal parts" recipe, this is especially amenable to whipping up at the last minute for a party. Because the recipe consists of a mayonnaise base to which other ingredients are added, it is popular among those who like to add something distinctive.
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Combine all ingredients to make dip.
Serving[edit | edit source]
- At room temperature, it is perfect for the savory dipping of vegetables, potato chips, and all other common party snacks. It becomes even better, however, as a warmed-up dip. Simply place it into a small, shallow, heat-resistant dish and broil it for just a little while, until the top turns slightly tan. It can also work well as a continuously warmed dip in a fondue pot, although it does need to be stirred every once in a while to prevent burning.
- This dip can also be used as the base for a sandwich. Spread the dip onto a good Italian roll, then broil it. When the dip turns a nice tan color, take it out of the broiler and finish the sandwich with lettuce and tomato.
Notes, tips, and variations[edit | edit source]
- There are many who increase the amount of artichokes used, for health-conscious reasons. There are also versions that replace the mayonnaise with soft tofu.
- Various items that are often added to the base artichoke dip, (to taste):
- Salt and pepper.
- Chopped scallions, (green onions).
- Dill weed.
- Finely chopped olives, (often with pimento).
- Chopped tomatoes are an especially common addition.
- Any number of very finely chopped vegetables, sometimes pre-cooked but raw is fine.
- Chopped spinach, cooked.
- ½ cup sour cream.
- ½ cup cream cheese.
- Minced garlic.
- Small can chopped green chilis.
- Dijon Mustard (teaspoon or tablespoon to taste).