Aquafaba can be used as a vegan replacement for egg white (it can be whipped like it) and for whole eggs (as a binder). It is mostly made with chickpeas, but reportedly can also be made from canned legumes.
From canned chickpeas
It can be obtained in different ways, the most easiest way is simply using the liquid from canned chickpeas.
From dry chickpeas
- Fill a pot with water and add the chickpeas.
- Bring the water to boil, then reduce the heat.
- Let it simmer for a couple of hours. Regulary check for enough water, add a little if necessary.
- When the chickpeas are soft, let it cool down.
- When cooled down, you can separate the liquid from the chickpeas. The liquid is your Aquafaba. You can use the chickpeas to make some other food.
(Alternatively you can follow the instructions on how to cook chickpeas and then use the liquid as Aquafaba.)
When your Aquafaba is too thin, boil it shortly so that excess water evaporates.
To replace an egg, use about three tablespoons of Aquafaba per replaced egg.
The following things can be made with Aquafaba:
- Mousse au Chocolat
- Ice Cream
- Mozzarella Cheese