Cookbook | Ingredients | Recipes
- 4 tbsp. oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped (increase spices if using lots more onion, otherwise the taste is weak)
- 2 lb fryer, or chicken parts (OPTIONAL: substitute firm tofu for the chicken.)
- 1 cup sour cream (or 1 cup plain yogurt & ½ cup sour cream)
- ½ cup currants (or raisins, if currants are unavailable)
- Heat oil until quite hot (not smoking.)
- Add spices and bay leaf. Cook until seeds crack. (1-2 minutes.)
- Reduce heat.
- Add garlic and onion. Cook until tender & translucent.
- Reserve onion, garlic & spices into a side dish.
- Season chicken with salt & pepper. Roll in flour.
- Fry chicken. (Add oil if needed.)
- When chicken is almost done, add reserved onion/spice mixture.
- Add currants.
– At this point, chicken may be cooled & frozen.
- To serve, add sour cream (or mixture of sour cream and yogurt) and simmer until chicken is tender and sauce has cooked down a little.
- Serve with Saffron Sweet Rice
- After cooking, the spices continue to infuse the chicken and mellow the flavor. Refrigerating this dish for a day, then warming it, enhances its flavor!