Constitution of India/Preamble
The preamble to a constitution is expected to embody the fundamental values and the philosophy on which the Constitution is based and the aims and objectives which the founders enjoined the polity to strive to achieve.
WE, THE PEOPLE OF INDIA, having solemnly resolved to constitute India into a SOVEREIGN SOCIALIST SECU LAR DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC and to secure to all its citizens: JUSTICE, social, economic and political; LIBERTY of thought, expression, belief, faith and worship; EQUALITY of status and of opportunity; and to promote among them all FRATERNITY assuring the dignity of the individual and the unity and integrity of the Nation; IN OUR CONSTITUENT ASSEMBLY this twenty sixth day of November, 1949, do HEREBY ADOPT, ENACT AND GIVE TO OURSELVES THIS CONSTITUTION.
The Preamble of Indian Constitution is considered to be a part of the Constitution of India after the orders of the Supreme Court.
The main purposes of having a Preamble of Indian Constitution are:
- The Preamble of Indian Constitution refers to the source that is responsible for the authority of the Constitution
- The Preambles of Indian Constitution also states the objectives of the Indian Constitution.
The Preamble is considered to be one of the most significant parts of the Constitution of India. Focusing on the main objective of the Indian Constitution, the Preamble includes the four objectives-Equality, Justice, Fraternity and Liberty. Significance of these four objectives is discussed below:
The Preamble is one of the most significant parts of the Constitution of India. Focusing on the core objective of the Indian Constitution, the Preamble includes the following:
- Equality - which connotes equal opportunity for one and all
- Justice - which means fair judgment in the fields of politics, society and economy
- Fraternity - which works towards keeping the integrity and strength of the country intact along with special stress on individual dignity
- Liberty - which assures every citizen of India the freedom of speech and expression, religious independence and choice of going by one's own belief, the people to take care of the constitution
- "Preamble". Indian Kanoon. http://indiacode.nic.in/coiweb/coifiles/preamble.htm. Retrieved 24 May 2013.
- "PREAMBLE". Ministry of Law and Justice, Legislative Department.. National Informatics Centre, Ministry of Comm. and Information Tech.. http://indiacode.nic.in/coiweb/coifiles/preamble.htm. Retrieved 24 May 2013.