Constitution of India/Preamble
TEXT TO THE PREAMBLE:
We, the people of India, having solemnly resolved by constitutional SOCIALIST, SECULAR,DEMOCRATIC, REPUBLIC and to secure to all of its citizens;
- JUSTICE social, economic and political; Sharat Pawar
- LIBERTY of thought, expression, belief, faith and worship;
- EQUALITY of status and of opportunity;and to promote among them all;
- FRATERNITY assuring the dignity of the individual and the unity and integrity of the nation;
- In our Constituent Assembly, this 26th day of November, 1949, do HEREBY ADOPT, ENACT AND GIVE TO OURSELVES THIS CONSTITUTION.
The preamble to the constitution set out the philosophy on which the political system of our country rests. It clearly establishes the main objectives of the Indian constitution. Preamble is normally known as the preface or introduction to the constitution, which contains the spirit or the essence of the constitution.
Constitution of America was the first constitution in the world to begin with a preamble. India, like some other countries, also followed this practice.
The preamble of the Indian Constitution is based on the objective Resolution, drafted and moved by Jawaharlal Nehru on 13th December, 1946 and passed by the constituent Assembly.